Carbonation Calculator Temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolley2002

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will shortly be bottling my next all grain beer and normally use an online calculator to work out how much sugar to use for priming.

When using an online calculator it asks for temperature, as I have cold crashed my beer do I input the cold crash temp or what temp it was fermenting at?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Hi All,

I will shortly be bottling my next all grain beer and normally use an online calculator to work out how much sugar to use for priming.

When using an online calculator it asks for temperature, as I have cold crashed my beer do I input the cold crash temp or what temp it was fermenting at?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
A can of worms but I have had more success using the CC temperature. CO2 is drawn into the beer as it cools, so temperature is important when calculating the amount of sugar for priming.

Surely it’s the temperature you will be carbonating at. During winter I carbonate in doors rather than the garage. So for me 18-20 degrees.

Surely it’s the temperature you will be carbonating at. During winter I carbonate in doors rather than the garage. So for me 18-20 degrees.
If you don't cold crash yes. In the fermenter the disolved co2 is the same as the co2 in the head space. Cold crashing disolves more of the co2 into the beer.So the colder the beer = more disolved co2.

If you don't cold crash yes. In the fermenter the disolved co2 is the same as the co2 in the head space. Cold crashing disolves more of the co2 into the beer.So the colder the beer = more disolved co2.
It does but mainly with forced carbonation. For priming I’m not sure as you want a secondary fermentation in the bottle and that might not be achieved at cold crash temperatures. But who knows so maybe split the batch and try both.

It does but mainly with forced carbonation. For priming I’m not sure as you want a secondary fermentation in the bottle and that might not be achieved at cold crash temperatures. But who knows so maybe split the batch and try both.
At the end of fermentation the level of carbonation depends on the temperature of the beer and if it is under any pressure. As most of us ferment at 1 atm the only thing we need to know is the temperature of the beer. When I bottle it is at around 3 C so I know roughly how many volumes of co2 I have in the beer using a calculator, (I use the Brewers Friend one). There is no forced carbonation involved just the natural physical occurrence between the temperature and the gas, as the beer warms dissolved co2 comes out of the solution, as it cools the solution absorbs the co2 from the head space.

Section B: Residual Carbonation Left Over After Fermentation
Temperature (°F/°C)Volumes CO2
47 °F (8.33 °C)1.21
50 °F (10.0 °C)1.15
53 °F (11.7 °C)1.09
56 °F (13.3 °C)1.04
59 °F (15.0 °C)0.988
62 °F (16.7 °C)0.940
65 °F (18.3 °C)0.894
68 °F (20.0 °C)0.850
71 °F (21.7 °C)0.807
74 °F (23.3 °C)0.767