Carbonation conundrum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Up until now I've always primed my PB with sugar solution. Carbonation produces excess CO2 that exhausts out of the pressure relief valve usually leaving my beer at around 10 psi before I drop the temperature to 10C to condition.
Question: If I didn't prime the PB with sugar solution but instead maintained the CO2 pressure at 10-12 psi for 2 weeks at 10C, would I get the same level of carbonation that I get with priming?
Note: I can do closed transfer to ensure CO2 atmosphere in the PB. I can connect a regulated CO2 cylinder to the PB.

Don't see why that would a problem, 10 PSI at 10°C would give you just short of 2 volumes of CO2 which is roughly what you want for an ale. So yes should be the same level of carbonation. Two weeks should see it fully carbonated.

I was going to say make sure you don't have any leaks when leaving the CO2 attached for 2 weeks but I've seen your King Keg lids 😉

Up until now I've always primed my PB with sugar solution. Carbonation produces excess CO2 that exhausts out of the pressure relief valve usually leaving my beer at around 10 psi before I drop the temperature to 10C to condition.
Question: If I didn't prime the PB with sugar solution but instead maintained the CO2 pressure at 10-12 psi for 2 weeks at 10C, would I get the same level of carbonation that I get with priming?
Note: I can do closed transfer to ensure CO2 atmosphere in the PB. I can connect a regulated CO2 cylinder to the PB.

Yes, you’ll be fine. It’s what I do all the time although I don’t keep the gas on.

You’ll remember I leave my S30 valve in situ as my relief valve and fit a Schrader valve to inject CO2.

Latest posts

Back