Carbonation drops question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
I'm going to try the Mangrove Jack's Grapefruit IPA as my next kit and noticed that Brew2Bottle have a decent offer on for the kit, malt enhancer, steriliser and carbonation drops.

I've never used carbonation drops before - they just seem an expensive way of adding sugar to beer, but if I get them I might as well use them.

The instructions say;
Add 1 drop per 330ml bottle
Add 2 drops per 750ml bottle

I brew in 500ml bottles, so can I cut a drop in half or will it just crumble? I suppose the other option is to batch prime and just chuck the correct number of drops into the barrel, though it seems a bit long-winded.

I use 1 drop per 500 ml bottle and find that is perfect for me although I prefer slightly less carbonation than too many bubbles.
I tried to cut the tablets but its nearly impossible to do it accurately, they won't crumble as they are rock hard.
I'm happy using ordinary sugar as well, 1 level teaspoon per bottle works well.

I used one per 500ml bottle with the drops in that combo kit and it's plenty enough carbonation and I normally prime IPAs to 2.3 volumes.

Would someone please guide me....

1. When bottling with carbonation drops ( coopers into a 500ml glass bottle) how much headroom should be left in the neck.

2. Generally does the headroom need changing Depending on the sugar being used or even the beer being brewed?

Im learning fast ( I think) but am struggling to work out how much to put in the bottles which is probably a fundamental necessary to know!

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Derren

1. When bottling with carbonation drops ( coopers into a 500ml glass bottle) how much headroom should be left in the neck.

2. Generally does the headroom need changing Depending on the sugar being used or even the beer being brewed?

Im learning fast ( I think) but am struggling to work out how much to put in the bottles which is probably a fundamental necessary to know!

Thanks in advance.

Derren
Do you use a bottling wand?
If so just fill the bottle to the top.
Then removing the wand from the bottle will leave a headspace.
That's how I do it.

Thanks in advance.

Derren
1. As Pirate Pete says, if you use a bottling wand, they are cheap, then fill to the top, take out wand, that leaves a headspace the same for any size of bottle.
2. No same headspace regardless of beer or sugar.

Hi Pirate/Keruso

Thank you for taking time to answer. I know it's a simple question so I'm really grateful for you helping me out.

I do have a wand so that will make it very easy!

Cheers! 🍺

Latest posts

Back