Carbonation for hard cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
Hi everyone i have a batch of cider just finishing from my homegrown apples (aprox 13lt). I want to batch prime but i am unsure of the amount of table sugar to use. I have a few calculators i can use but i am unsure of the vol co2 to use, any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone i have a batch of cider just finishing from my homegrown apples (aprox 13lt). I want to batch prime but i am unsure of the amount of table sugar to use. I have a few calculators i can use but i am unsure of the vol co2 to use, any suggestions?

I would go with around 50g, as you do not want it so fizzy that it stirs up the yeast overly when you open the bottles.

Cider from your own apples should be interesting, but you may want to research the malo-lactic ferment. There should be a thread on the forum about Old Rosie Cider, a commercial product that is supposed to contain the bacteria that causes the much desired malo-lactic fermentation.

Back