Carbonation issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrums1

Reaction score
Okay, I'm sorry for another newbie question but here goes.

I brewed some Ultimate Classic German Pilsner exactly as per the instructions. Added the carbonation drops, bottled it and left for 5 days as instructed. Moved to the fridge after a week and left it for another few days. I also made a couple of 33oml test bottles.

`i opened one today just to check the carbonation and there was none to speak of.

I have removed all the bottles from the fridge, gave each a couple of shakes placed them in a warmer area.

Will these carbonate of is it ruined?

This is my third kit, the other two were Brewbarrel and they have carbonated well. Any advice would be helpful, please.

They will carbonate if you have enough sugar/drops in the bottles. As a rule do not read into the instructions too much (they give you very optimistic figures as would you buy the product if they told you it would take longer to ferment and carbonate) as they are very optimistic and different beers will carbonate quicker than others. So put in a warm place similar to ferment temps and leave for 2 weeks. When you have done a few brews you will know what I mean and gain experience to judge these matters yourself.
Ps if they do not carb up you can always add some more sugar/drops but only if absolutely needed as over carbing can cause bottle bombs. Just search and read a few more answers in this forum

I am happy with the amount of sugar they got. Crafty Foxes - 2 in each 500ml and one in each 250ml. The 330ml had one each of Coopers Carbonation Drops. I was thinking of Festival Razorback IPA next or another band of IPA that is citrus and hoppy. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for your answer, I feel a little more relieved now.

"5 days as instructed" nah, they must be kidding. It takes 2 weeks (@20º) to build up a bit of pressure and can be tasted then. BUT it takes another few weeks to let the taste really develop.
Better undercarbed by the way than overcarbed.
You don't want to paint the ceiling on Sunday morning *insert flashbacks here*.

lol. Not a fan of painting. I have moved it and will leave it a couple of weeks at least. Many thanks!

I can confirm paining the ceiling etc isn’t a goood on!
Atm a fursty ferret clone is a pita...but a bit carbonation is better than nowt!!
It’s a funny old game...trying to get carbing up right...after 35 odd years brewing I’m still fingers crossed every brew lol.
But I stick to what I’m used to..nearly all the time it’s a success!! :-)
Bri

As further to this subject I have 13Lt of Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild ready for 2 minkegs and 6 bottles. My thoughts for carbonation on the monikers is 12g of table sugar/keg. I am not sure what the CO2 volume should be for the bottles anyone have Ideas

As further to this subject I have 13Lt of Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild ready for 2 minkegs and 6 bottles. My thoughts for carbonation on the monikers is 12g of table sugar/keg. I am not sure what the CO2 volume should be for the bottles anyone have Ideas
I'd carbonate a mild like I'd do a bitter; to about 1.7 vols CO2. Put your volumes into the brewer's friend calculator and it'll tell you how much to use. Somewhat amusingly the BJCP styles think that 1.8 to 2.6 is the appropriate range for a dark mild. Fizzy mild? Which planet did they just land from?

Back