Carbonation problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently did 80 pints of woodfordes wherry everything went fine , SG 1050 FG 1004. Good number primed the bottles with 1/2 teaspoon full of sugar on the 12/12/2018, and moved them outside to the shed.

I cracked open a tester knowing it was fully not ready to drink but to see how it was going on.

There was no carbonation whatsoever , should I maybe recarbonate by opening them up and moving them inside for 2 weeks with more sugar, or should I just leave them in the shed.

Looking forward to some advice.

Dave

Move them back inside but dont open them. It would probably help to give them a bit of a shake/swirl to get the yeast back into the beer, 2 weeks in the cold will have caused it to settle on the bottom.

The carbonation is created by the yeast fermenting the additional sugar you added, so they need to be warm enough to work. I imagine the shed is well below 10C at this time of year, you will want 2 weeks at around 18-24C. Check they have carbed then move to the shed to condition.

They won’t carbonate in the shed, they need 2 weeks in the warm to carbonate before you move them cold

I cant believe I have overlooked this problem, are you sure they will recarbonate and not just lay dormant

Move them back inside but dont open them. It would probably help to give them a bit of a shake/swirl to get the yeast back into the beer, 2 weeks in the cold will have caused it to settle on the bottom.

The carbonation is created by the yeast fermenting the additional sugar you added, so they need to be warm enough to work. I imagine the shed is well below 10C at this time of year, you will want 2 weeks at around 18-24C. Check they have carbed then move to the shed to condition.

This will definitely do it. Been here myself, move it inside somewhere warm for a bit and give the bottles a tip upside down or a swirl.

You'll be fine

General rule of thumb, bottle condition at the same temperature you fermented at.

Latest posts

Back