Carbonation

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Andy44

Reaction score
Hi, what is the best way to keep an head on a classic bitter, when i pour it from the bottle the head is good but soon dissappears making it look flat. I always rince the glass before i pour it. Any advise is welcome.

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, what is the best way to keep an head on a classic bitter, when i pour it from the bottle the head is good but soon dissappears making it look flat. I always rince the glass before i pour it. Any advise is welcome.
Getting the pH around 5.3, use some dextrin malt (carapils) dough in at a higher temperature as possible to bring your mash to temperature.

Andy44

Reaction score
Getting the pH around 5.3, use some dextrin malt (carapils) dough in at a higher temperature as possible to bring your mash to temperature.
Hi Foxy, can i use this in a classic bitter kit and how, all the kits i brew start off with a good head and quicky goes flat. Cheers

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Foxy, can i use this in a classic bitter kit and how, all the kits i brew start off with a good head and quicky goes flat. Cheers
I am unfamiliar with kits, are they kits consisting of grains pre milled and hops?

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Foxy, no they consist of malt extract
All I could suggest then is to hot steep some carapils, just a couple of hundrde grams and add tht to your kit, see if that improves it.

Agentgonzo

Regular.
Reaction score
I don't worry about things like this. When a decent pint of bitter in a pub does the same

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thanks Foxy
If that fails get a syringe and suck some beer up and squirt it back, makes like a draught beer. Also works if your beer is over carbonated too. Replaces the co2 with nitrogen.

Andrew Booth

Reaction score
Worthwhile noticing that if your glass has been washed in washing up liquid then a head will just dissipate due to the grease in the washing up liquid. A way around this is to use pub type glass wash.

Agentgonzo

Regular.
Reaction score
Worthwhile noticing that if your glass has been washed in washing up liquid then a head will just dissipate due to the grease in the washing up liquid. A way around this is to use pub type glass wash.
Or rinse and dry out thoroughly

Latest posts