carbonator caps for pet bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helluvatractor

Reaction score
hi all, i would really like to get a few of these to take my homebrew to friends etc., but at £12 a pop, seems very expensive for a piece of plastic.

has anyone ever made their own? i've seen youtube videos of homemade ones and it seems pretty simple, but they are all american and i dont know what components to get here in the uk.

they talk about valve stems. but i dont really know what these are??

I've made a few, the valves are Stainless Steel bolt in car/motor bike wheel valves.

Easy to use but surprisingly hard to fit a gas line to that's not going to leak.

What you can do is keg as usual run off into a bottle fit a carb cap then a quick pop of Co2 and into the fridge!

Atb. Aamcle

Excellent, thanks guys, have ordered the bits today. Four caps for the price of one carbonater cap !! Ideal.

I thought this was a great idea and promptly ordered 10 valves which duly arrived from China. It all went perfectly, except that the black rubber washers (on the inside of the cap) have a strong smell, a bit like bitumen! It does not seem to go away after soaking in oxyclean. My testing with water and cordial do taste of this rubber unfortunately. So, for those that have tried it, did your valve washers not smell, did you manage to get rid of it, or did you replace them with something else?

I thought this was a great idea and promptly ordered 10 valves which duly arrived from China. It all went perfectly, except that the black rubber washers (on the inside of the cap) have a strong smell, a bit like bitumen! It does not seem to go away after soaking in oxyclean. My testing with water and cordial do taste of this rubber unfortunately. So, for those that have tried it, did your valve washers not smell, did you manage to get rid of it, or did you replace them with something else?

This of course is an older thread. The members concerned no longer regularly post. They may of course lurk and see your post though.

Welcome to the forum

Yeah, I realise that, but it's such a specific thread I thought it made sense to stay in it and keep the context, and hope some of the OPs were hanging around still! Would it be better in such cases to start a new one and refer back to the original? Seems that just fragments the content and makes it harder for others in future to follow.

Cheers

I might be missing something here (nothing strange for me), but if you prime your bottles with sugar (by whatever method), why would you want to add co2 to individual bottles? This is a serious question, as every bottle I've primed certainly doesn't need any help!

ive used these in the past with cheap valves of ebay and never noticed any problem. i have a stainless steel one now that a corny gas disconnect fits on to. great bit of kit.
ManseMasher i use in the way of filling a bottle from cornie then put cap on to put some more co2 in if needed. nice bright beer. i only use if im going somewhere and want to take a few beers with me as i never bottle and prime. no sediment with this method

ive used these in the past with cheap valves of ebay and never noticed any problem. i have a stainless steel one now that a corny gas disconnect fits on to. great bit of kit.
ManseMasher i use in the way of filling a bottle from cornie then put cap on to put some more co2 in if needed. nice bright beer. i only use if im going somewhere and want to take a few beers with me as i never bottle and prime. no sediment with this method
Oh I get it - difficult to take a corney, cylinder etc. with you! Thanks for that - everyday's a school day!

Agreed- that's the main reason I want them for, and they are about £1 a cap to make as opposed to >£10 for a commercial carbonator cap (those I've seen, anyway). You can also use them for cordial etc as a Sodastream substitute. I took some beer to a tasting today direct from the secondary fermenter, chilled and carbonated; it went down very well :D. I'm going to find some food-grade O-rings to replace the smelly rubber washers on my valves.

Latest posts

Back