Carrot whiskey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielB

Reaction score
Hi all, I have some carrot whiskey on the go...I went to rack it and it still tastes a little sweet.

The sg was about 1020 (from 1150) so coming out about 17%.

Looks like I reached the yeasts tolerance as it had seemingly finished fermenting.

I was considering repitching it to get the last of the sugars out; can anyone recommend a high tolerance yeast - beyond 17%?

...or any other thoughts....

Interesting idea. I usually think of Champagne yeast for high strengths, but 17% is probably around the limit for that. Gervin do a high alchol wine yeast that is said to tolerate up to 21%.

Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use to reach as high as 17%?

Thanks, I'll look at that gervin...

I'm a bit if a "chuck it in and see what happens" kind of person, which is really just being totally disorganised but with a positive spin...the yeast I most likely used was just Young's Super Wine Yeast... So nothing overly fancy.

I have some EC1118 I use for mead...maybe I'll try that next time...

But...if I do get to 21%....there may not be a next time!

Is this any good? What does it taste like?

Also what is the difference between carrot whiskey and carrot wine?

I assume it’s just the alcohol content?

Is this any good? What does it taste like?

Also what is the difference between carrot whiskey and carrot wine?

I assume it’s just the alcohol content?

Hi, interesting questions... Please, bear I mind I am very far from Amy kind of expert, and my palate is even less useful...

However... My understanding is that, in essence, it is indeed simply carrot wine. But the handful of grain/barley/rye that was added at primary fermentation is what makes it 'whiskey'.

It is still maturing...but, with a bit of help (adding some high tolerance yeast) I've got it to about 22%. I think without distillation that's about the limit.

It needs a few months aging, but I would be happy to say: it doesn't taste disgusting...and that's all I ever hope for!

It does not taste like carrots. But is, in essence simply fermented carrot water....

Recipe is easy, and happy to share!

That sounds interesting, Jesus 22 percent from carrots! Lol

It surprises me that it is still called whiskey at only 22%. I thought it had to be much stronger than that to qualify.

Yes would be very interested to see recipe if that’s ok?

If we make wine from carrots, surely it's more brandy than whiskey? As it's relatively low alcohol, maybe we should settle on carrot Schnapps.

That sounds interesting, Jesus 22 percent from carrots! Lol

It surprises me that it is still called whiskey at only 22%. I thought it had to be much stronger than that to qualify.

Yes would be very interested to see recipe if that’s ok?

I'm so sorry, I totally missed this ask to share. There are many recipes online. I used this as a guide but added all the syrup in only a couple of batches...

Ingredients
6 lbs Carrots
1 lb Wheat
1 lb Raisins
2 Oranges
2 Lemons
4 lbs Sugar
General Purpose Yeast
Additives
1 Tsp Pectolase
1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 Vitamin B Tablets (total 6 mg)
¼ Tsp Grape Tannin
Campden Tablets
Method
First make a yeast starter with 2 tablespoons of orange juice, 1 teaspoon sugar and a cup of cold
water in a clean wine bottle. Add yeast and plug bottle with cotton wool. Leave for 24 hours.
Lightly mince the raisins and place in a plastic bin with 3 lbs of the sugar. Scrub the carrots, cut into
chunks and boil in 5 pints of water until soft but not mashed.
Strain off the carrots into the bin, stir to dissolve the sugar and add 1 crushed campden tablet. Cover
and leave for the same 24 hours.
Add wheat, yeast starter, the juice from the oranges and the lemons and all the additives.
Cover and leave to ferment for 14 days, stirring daily.
Meanwhile convert the remaining 1 lb of sugar into standard sugar syrup by placing the sugar in a
pan with ½ pint of water. Bring just to the boil and immediately turn off the heat. Allow to cool and
then place in a screw top wine bottle until needed.
Strain into a gallon jar, add half a pint of water, fit an airlock and ferment to an SG of 1010.
Add sufficient sugar syrup to raise the SG to 1020. Allow fermentation to continue until an SG of 1010
is reached again. Repeat the syrup addition and continue this process until all the syrup has been
added.
Allow fermentation to continue until an SG of 1000 or less is achieved. Rack into another jar, top up
with water and fit a bored cork plugged with cotton wool and leave to mature for 3 months. The

Sounds like a good recipe, a hell of a lot of sugar lol.

What is the Vitamin B for? And is it necessary?

Latest posts

Back