carrot whiskey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's one that i will making this year, just thought i'd share it on here with you guys!!!

Enjoy

Carrot Whiskey

* 6 lbs carrots
* 4 lbs finely granulated sugar
* 1 lb wheat
* 1 tblsp chopped raisins
* 2 oranges
* 2 lemons
* 7 pts water
* wine yeast

Scrub but do not peel the carrots. place them in 7 pints of water and bring to boil, simmering gently until tender (about 25-30 minutes). Meanwhile, put half the sugar in primary. Slice the oranges and lemons into thin slices and arrange on top of sugar. When carrots are done, strain them, pouring the water over the sugar and citrus. Stir to dissolve sugar and allow to cool to lukewarm. Add chopped raisins and wheat and sprinkle wine yeast over top. Cover with sterile cloth and set aside, stirring daily. After 6 days add remainder of sugar and stir well to dissolve. Ferment additional 8 days, stirring daily. Strain liquid into secondary and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days and again 30 days later. Bottle and taste after 1 year.

Looks an interesting brew.
Maybe this could be my the one to set me off down the wine making road. :hmm:

What kind of taste/flavour/feel would you expect from this?

Cheers.

if i remember right, given i was about 18!! god , where have the years gone!! lol, the taste is slightly carroty, but with a lovely glowing warmth as it goes down!!
Thats why am going to make it again!!

falafael said:
Here's one that i will making this year, just thought i'd share it on here with you guys!!!

Enjoy

Carrot Whiskey

* 6 lbs carrots
* 4 lbs finely granulated sugar
* 1 lb wheat
* 1 tblsp chopped raisins
* 2 oranges
* 2 lemons
* 7 pts water
* wine yeast

Scrub but do not peel the carrots. place them in 7 pints of water and bring to boil, simmering gently until tender (about 25-30 minutes). Meanwhile, put half the sugar in primary. Slice the oranges and lemons into thin slices and arrange on top of sugar. When carrots are done, strain them, pouring the water over the sugar and citrus. Stir to dissolve sugar and allow to cool to lukewarm. Add chopped raisins and wheat and sprinkle wine yeast over top. Cover with sterile cloth and set aside, stirring daily. After 6 days add remainder of sugar and stir well to dissolve. Ferment additional 8 days, stirring daily. Strain liquid into secondary and fit airlock. Rack after 30 days and again 30 days later. Bottle and taste after 1 year.

Am I right in thinking you just use the carrot juice and throw the carrot's away??

John

When I returned to winemaking and brewing this March, this was one of the first wines I started off. I seemed to recall that it is a good warming brew and very easy to make. I made 2 gallons, but this sounds like a CJJ Berry recipe and 4lbs sugar/gallon is way too high. With modern sugars this is going to give an OG around 1.150 and you'll be hard pushed to find a yeast which will ferment it. 3lbs is quite sufficient.

All of my sugar went in at the start, giving an OG of 1.112

This has gone down to 0.994 (so 15.7% abv), I've racked, stabilised and added finings, it's now clear and golden and I will be bottling in the next week.

:shock: I've seen some wierd stuff fermented but this has got to be up there with the bloke who fermented tomato juice :lol:

As a wine making novice what does the wheat add to the brew? is it malted wheat?

J_P said:
:shock: I've seen some wierd stuff fermented but this has got to be up there with the bloke who fermented tomato juice :lol:

As a wine making novice what does the wheat add to the brew? is it malted wheat?

The wheat should make it taste and look more like a whisky compared to a wine made just from fruit/grapes! :P I'm not sure about carrot bit though :hmm: !! so im going to make a orange whisky, i'll most likley use crushed wheat malt! :cheers:

J_P said:

I stand corrected - I've just seen a nettle and ginger brew!

dandan said:
I'm not sure about carrot bit though :hmm:
Do not under-estimate the humble carrot, this can be an excellent brew. :drunk:

Your orange recipe calls for potatoes, I'd be far more reluctant to use those. You will probably need to add something like Amylozyme or you could end up with a starch haze.

Moley said:
dandan said:
I'm not sure about carrot bit though :hmm:
Do not under-estimate the humble carrot, this can be an excellent brew. :drunk:

Your orange recipe calls for potatoes, I'd be far more reluctant to use those. You will probably need to add something like Amylozyme or you could end up with a starch haze.

Doh! didn't think of the starch!! hmmm additives it is! and might make a carrot one (just to compare of course!! :whistle: )

lol, it's still on my to do list, have been busy brewing wine from tea bags, tinned fruit, and loads of that peach and raisin wine as well, but i will get round to it!! :thumb:

Go back to around post #10 and you'll see I've made a couple of gallons of this already, it turned out at 15.6%abv, some has been drunk and was most acceptable, some is still down the cellar.

I've just been round to our local farm shop for the week's veg. and a sack of shallots for pickling, and just happened to pick up a sack of horse carrots too, as you do. 25p a kilo.

Recipes don't seem to vary much, 6lbs carrots, 1lb wheat, couple of oranges, couple of lemons, raisins or concentrate and a quantity of sugar.

This wasn't planned. I don't have any wheat.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use barley?
More to the point, is there any reason why I shouldn't use malted barley?

10kg sack, 22lbs, less trimmings, say 21lbs = 3.5 gallons. I think there are more in the fridge, so 4 gallons.
12lbs sugar
1.5kg crushed pale malt
8 lemons (ok, got those)
8 oranges - why not a litre or two of orange juice?

Anyone got any idea how much sugar is in 1.5kg of pale malt?

Modified slightly from what I said in the previous post.

Ingredients ready to go:
PB09100401.jpg

Only ‘horse carrots’, 25p a kilo, absolutely nothing wrong with them, just not the shape and size the supermarkets want. Scrubbed, trimmed, topped & tailed. I ended up with 19.5lbs:
PB09100402.jpg

Chopped (thankfully Mrs. Mole has a food processor), covered with cold water, brought to the boil and simmered until soft but not mushy:
PB09100404.jpg

9lbs sugar boiled to a syrup. 6 lemons, sliced.
500g raisins blitzed in the food processor.
2 litres of orange juice.
Carrot liquor strained.
1.5kg Crushed Pale Malt.

Only problem so far with the crushed pale malt - it floats, so I'm shaking or swirling fairly regularly.
PB09100601.jpg

But it looks and smells wonderful:
PB09100602.jpg

Not quite 3 gallons at the moment, OG 1.106, but this is going to be fed with sugar syrup, and maybe some grape juice, to see just how far these yeasties can go.

Errrmmm .... I think I may have created a monster :whistle:

Almost 3 weeks (I didn't post until the Wednesday but I had started it on the Sunday) and I've just strained it to DJs. I squeezed the raisins, lemons and draff as dry as I possibly could. Only ended up with around 2.5 gallons, divided equally between 3 DJs and I considered topping up with grape juice. Then I took the SG and tasted a drop from the trial jar.

BANG! :shock:

My mouth exploded, rather like the bloke on the Listerine adverts, then yeasty beasties in hobnail boots swung on my tonsils and kicked me in the brain!

I topped it up to 3 gallons with water and have just recalculated known sugars plus my best guestimate of sugars extracted from the pale malt. Revised OG is 1.140, now down to 1.014 (17.5% abv and rising) so I don't think I'll feed it any more sugar.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that this is going to be unlike anything I've ever brewed before.

Latest posts

Back