Cask, keg, bottle in a pub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHudds

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been brewing small batches for a few years. I don't drink a lot, so enjoy handing out beers to friends, and one has said he really likes White Rat (Our Beers - Ossett Brewery).

Now I thought I'd try to make a version, based roughly on the ingredients listed on the website. Thing is, he says he's only had it at a pub, not from a bottle. I only bottle.

So I was reading into the difference between serving from cask, keg/draught/tap and bottle. Given White Rat is sold in pubs and in bottles, I assumed the pub version would be served from a keg, and similar to the bottled.

However, on the website, it says cask, which I always thought was not as carbonated, and not usually the type of beer described (pale, American hoppyal ale). I have very little knowledge on this stuff, but thought someone might be able to shed some light and educate me! Can I bottle something vaguely similar to the pub version he's had (I realise I don't know the yeast mind, was going to go with US-05)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Hello,

I've been brewing small batches for a few years. I don't drink a lot, so enjoy handing out beers to friends, and one has said he really likes White Rat (Our Beers - Ossett Brewery).

Now I thought I'd try to make a version, based roughly on the ingredients listed on the website. Thing is, he says he's only had it at a pub, not from a bottle. I only bottle.

So I was reading into the difference between serving from cask, keg/draught/tap and bottle. Given White Rat is sold in pubs and in bottles, I assumed the pub version would be served from a keg, and similar to the bottled.

However, on the website, it says cask, which I always thought was not as carbonated, and not usually the type of beer described (pale, American hoppyal ale). I have very little knowledge on this stuff, but thought someone might be able to shed some light and educate me! Can I bottle something vaguely similar to the pub version he's had (I realise I don't know the yeast mind, was going to go with US-05)

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Hard to imagine an American Pale Ale served from a beer engine. You are right in what you say, cask is very low in carbonation, American beers high. I would just bottle it and and carb it high. Easy to remove the carbonation, but impossible to put more in.(at point of serve that is)

Latest posts

Back