CB Radio.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just downloaded and set up Echolink on my computer. I had to log in to Ofcom to download my licence details for the Echolink validation process. Now done and awaiting approval but I need to change some settings for UDP access.

A bit more digging, you don't need a radio transceiver you can use a PC or phone using Echolink you still need a licence.

I've just downloaded and set up Echolink on my computer. I had to log in to Ofcom to download my licence details for the Echolink validation process. Now done and awaiting approval but I need to change some settings for UDP access.

Nice one, keep us posted.

Nice one, keep us posted.

I've been approved not long after sending in a photo of the first page of my licence. I managed to find out the information for modifying the UDP port in the firewall on the router. It passes all the tests now but I need to connect a mic up to the computer. I've set it up to just use the computer at this stage.

I have ordered one of these just to play with and intend to use it as he does (Echolink) when i get my licence, i don't know if C19 is going to make that a bit of a problem at the moment.

I got the little Baofang as a Christmas present offmy step son and they are a cracking little radio for the price, not done a lot with mine but may have to dust it off and give it a good charge

I have finally got Hamsphere 3 working on the laptop after having problems with the sound not working.

I am impressed with how it works and the clarity and that you don't need a ham licence to use it, I have had some long range contacts today. (if thats what they are called)

http://www.hamsphere.com/download.php

eeeeee.jpg

For most it was the fact it was illegal to use AM here that made it fun I sold my set up as soon as FM licences arrived.

Hamsphere is legal without a licence and for me the big draw Is you can speak to people all over the world using a PC/Laptop or mobile phone, if you don't want to get into conversations you can keep it short and can then swap QSL cards so you can keep track of where you have made contact you have your own page in the website where you can view all you stats edit QSL cards and lots more, I am still using the 30 day trial but I will pay the £25 annual subscription when it ends.

An example of a QSL card below.

cu2kg-martti-azores-expedition.png

For most it was the fact it was illegal to use AM here that made it fun I sold my set up as soon as FM licences arrived.

Hamsphere is legal without a licence and for me the big draw Is you can speak to people all over the world using a PC/Laptop or mobile phone, if you don't want to get into conversations you can keep it short and can then swap QSL cards so you can keep track of where you have made contact you have your own page in the website where you can view all you stats edit QSL cards and lots more, I am still using the 30 day trial but I will pay the £25 annual subscription when it ends.

An example of a QSL card below.

cu2kg-martti-azores-expedition.png
Not like the post cards you could get printed and sent and those you received took pride of place in the den/cupboard...

We used to drive up a big hill near where I live and could talk to people on the M6 so we got plenty of postcards from people all over thr country.

Chippy tea...are you calling yourself "Chippy tea"?

No Clint it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

You are assigned a callsign when you register at the Hamsphere site (something like 25HS 8787) you usually get asked your first name when you are swapping details to send the QSL card or if you want to join in the chat to make it less formal.

Memories!! I was yogi, i had so much fun on the am rig, my silver rod attached outside my bedroom window bleeding through my neighbours tv's/radios ha hAH

I even got a visit one morning from the police and a man from bt, they confiscated my rig after searching all the bedrooms, my parents were still in bed AT THE TIME, I then had to move everything to my shed.
I have still got my rig in my shed and a box of postcards from people across europe that i spoke to in dx ing.
10-10 fae yogi

We were quite into AM CB radio back in the day, one or two of us who came from different cities had them in our cars and would often use them to meet up and travel in convoy as we went about our weekend pastime which was all over the country. I also had a Ham International sideband radio, rather large directional antenna on a big mast and a 1000w "burner" and used to chat across the pond and to other parts of the world where we would exchange postcards lol

Hamsphere is brilliant I have now talked or exchanged QSL cards with 29 different countries it was a bit daunting at first as there is a lot of use of the phonetic alphabet and Q codes but as I have found no one bothers if you don't use them all the time so new users can have a go without worrying they'll make mistakes, the best thing is Hamsphere 3 is only £25 per year or you can pay every 3 months, there is a 30 day free trial.
I was thinkg of posting a guide thread for anyone who is I interested (including guests) as like abything else if they don't get new members paying the bills there is a risk it'll not survive.

It's gonna be mayhem round the lakes when Chippy gets his convoy going...gridlock outside the Laurel and Hardy museum!

Latest posts

Back