Cctv cameras..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clint
I bought 2 YI Tech cameras off Amazon for about £23 each. Really good have two , one at the front and one at the back linked to my mobile. Our house was burgled in 2017 so had to get the cameras .

Logitech Circle - one unit front of house, t'other by rear garage. Easy to install (powered through supplied USB socket), 180 camera view (!), very high definition, good night vision, weatherproof. WiFi link to phone with alerts, daily review etc. Has audio (listen and talk - only used to startle friends so far). But costly.

When getting a camera consider the clarity at night, when viewed during the day they may appear clear, but without any lighting at night time the night time vision can be rubbish.

Good point on lighting. We've got outside light to illuminate the areas where our cameras cover.

I have a tp link tapo camera in my workshop / beer store.
They start at £20 and have SD card storage , no cloud subscription fees, night vision and motion detection with alerts to phone , 2 way coms and a siren.
The app is clear and easy to use .

It suits my use very well, I have the £24 motorised one.

They are available in Argos , Amazon and other stores.

The shots below show the picture on the phone app in total darkness and a colour daytime / with natural light.

Mark
Screenshot_20210227-105742.png

1614429344724.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-105731.png
    Screenshot_20210227-105731.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20210227-110747.png
    Screenshot_20210227-110747.png
    223.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I have a 5mp 'Jennov' wi fi camera from Amazon, looking out over my back garden, the picture is great, uses the hi cam app for my phone and laptop but the wind and rain seem to be making it record all the time, has anybody got any tips regards reducing this problem? I've set zones up for motion detection but the problem persists.thanks

Hi I have a Swann 4 camera system at work which has been pretty good. The night vision works really well and Ive captured a few things that were helpful.

Screwfix & Currys PC world sell the kits as well as others online.

I am about to update to the Swann 8 camera Ultra HD as I need a few more camera and the higher def should also be better.

Straight forward to fit.

buddsy

Hello all,
I fancy getting some security cameras....
Can anyone offer any advice?
Cheers
Clint
Join the IPcamtalk forum, you’ll see me from time to time.

I have mainly Hikvision and using a Synology server as an NVR.

STAY AWAY FROM CRAPPY BRANDED CAMS.

STAY AWAY FROM WIFI CAMS.

Don’t mount them at high level like most do, you are after face images, not top of heads.

POE cams make it idiot proof after a little research.

I think what you want is very relative to what you need to buy, if you want full home coverage you will need a big £400 plus multi camera set up with hard drive and cloud storage and so on, however if your needs are more modest like to keep a eye on a drive / garden / garage etc and be alerted to movement you could be better suited to a under £25 camera, which you can add to later if you need .

It's a bit like comparing a mini to a rolls the two do the same job but to massively different levels , your requirements and depth of pockets also play a big part.

Mark

I think I want a three camera set up..drive,front door and garden as we back on to a field. I don't mind paying a couple of hundred quid but I'd rather not go subscription.

I think I want a three camera set up..drive,front door and garden as we back on to a field. I don't mind paying a couple of hundred quid but I'd rather not go subscription.
I’ll send you contact details of a 100% reliable ali express seller later. He’s used buy hundreds on the ip cam forum. Most importantly rock bottom prices on UK spec cams.

I'm a bit puzzled at that listing, it states to choose either pal or NTSC formats , as far as I know both are redundant analogue broadcast TV formats , PAL most of Europe and NTSC USA and Japan.

Any ideas ?

Mark

Last edited:
Clint,

A work colleague had a right nut job who lived next door. He used to break my colleagues windows, generally wreck his garden and throw dog mess on his lawn.

As a result he installed a CCTV system and recorded his neighbour in the act. He then called the local Police. They visited and viewed the recordings. They then told my colleague that he didn’t have any signage up to say that images were being recorded they couldn’t be used as evidence.

Yes you need signs, apparently thieves have rights. Also you cannot point your cameras to view the road or adjacent properties, a view of the road is what you may want to record suspicious people and vehicles if there is a crime in the area, but you can't legally. What you can do is have a view of your front garden which just happens to cover a bit of the road for example.
@LeeH I think is right when he says you will regret buying cheap, I had a Swann system I self installed, all worked well until it was out of warranty and then it all packed up. Research well before you buy.

Although I have not yet bought my next system I found these a good company, you can call them and discuss the best kit for your requirements and they will give self install advice as well Uniview (UNV), AJAX Alarms, IP CCTV, HD CCTV Kits | by DDS

I have a UniView NVR
Four channels (I forget all the techie slang)
2TB disk does all four cams at full 1080hd for about two weeks before it starts to record over the oldest footage.
You can access the footage on the local LAN, mobile and from the cloud and get alerts on your mobile. But you will turn that off after about 15 minutes.
Power over Ethernet is a must unless you want to route DC power to all of your cameras (you wont)
Wasnt cheap mind.
There are a ton of camera options; different res. PTZ, audio, face recog, person counting, starlight? I forget now.
It was self fitted. It wasnt hard as long as you can route and terminate CAT5 UTP.

Screenshot_20210228-161839_EZView.jpg

Latest posts

Back