Cctv cameras..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good call. Ive been thinking about getting just the one for the side of the house. Something that can connect to a phone?
Save me getting off my fat ar$e when the door goes 🤣🙃

Ive been really impressed by the reolink cameras- I’ve got two of the Argus 2 models and the review I gave them was enough to convince my dad to get a couple of the Argus 3 which comes with a spot light. He is also very happy with them.

The best thing about them (IMO) is that they are wire free- wifi connection and are battery operated. No drilling, no need to be near a plug and no cables everywhere!

Reolink offer a neat little solar panel which I have on one of them, and it kept it fully topped up throughout winter. The other one, because of its location I dont use the panel and just re-charge the battery - with it lasting 2 months over winter and fairly heavy usage.

Good picture, good range of detection, customisable sensitivity, picks up wifi well, easy and quick to set up and install and a very neat app. Send alerts to your phone via email and the app, and a £10 sim card offers recording and playback. Think I paid 80£ ish on sale each and an extra 12£ for the solar panel.

Ive used these to replace my hardwired HD drive system as just far more convenient.

I bought some cheapo ieGeek WiFi cameras off Amazon about 2 years ago and they have been pretty good to be honest. I've got them hooked up to a separate WiFi router so hopefully no back door internet hacking and snooping by our overseas friends that make them.

You can watch them live on an app and they can be configured to send images to an email address if motion is detected.

I had a HIK Vision NVR with PoE cameras before which was great and I still use for one old camera, but the problem I had is the firmware on it became quite quickly obsolete and and video format isn't supported by phones or internet browsers from memory so a bit of money lost🙁. I can only view images on my monitor or TV.

Downvote on ring

Got hikvision which is good with HD cams and 1tb HDD
+1 for hikvision , ive used samsung & d-link in the past as well as axis. if you use poe only one cable to camera required and no batteries to worry about compared to wireless cameras. cat5e cable or above with a max run of 100m per cable, should be suitable for most homes.

Had a quick look at the hikvision stuff..they do a full 3 camera kit,1tb recorder etc for just over £200. How easy/hard is this to install and set up? What size hole would I need to drill to get the three cables through,?
Apparently banned for government use in USA and Australia amongst others as deemed a national security threat due to their place of manufacture...

Last edited:
I have a battery Ring cam as it integrated with the Ring doorbell. Yes its expensive, yes you have to charge it

but you can also point it at your FV and watch the ferment/temps :cool:

STAY AWAY FROM WIFI CAMS.
Genuine question, why is this? The camera I have will allow me to Poe but because it's at the back of my garage I have no ethernet cable there.Can I plug into the tplink wi fi booster that's plugged into the garage and power the camera that way?

What's the Yale stuff like?

My son has two of Yale cameras, bought while on promotion at Aldi.
He's happy with them, the type he has are small WiFi ones that can be viewed via a app on his phone, they are very similar to the TP link tapo cameras in looks and function but even while on promotion they cost slightly more.
I think having the Yale brand they will appeal to a different type of customer who would not be have a clue who TP link and many of the camera brands are.

Mark

Genuine question, why is this? The camera I have will allow me to Poe but because it's at the back of my garage I have no ethernet cable there.Can I plug into the tplink wi fi booster that's plugged into the garage and power the camera that way?
Power over Ethernet is a separate thing ( how to power a camera in a awkward location) and the weakness that some consider that cameras working over WiFi have, for many of us WiFi isn't a issue for what we use it for (in my case to keep an eye on my workshop / Motorcycle) but if you wanted a top of the range system it would very likely be hard wired with power over Ethernet and have local hard drive with cloud back up, chalk and cheese in every respect.

Mark

I have a TP link WiFi extender...I think they only connect to the router that runs off the same consumer board...I don't know if it would work if it was run from a garage etc that had it's own.

Nothing to do with the workings of cameras but I generally hate these things. The idea of having your every move recorded as you move about your garden or the idea of being recorded whilst knocking on a neighbours door does not sit right with me. Unless there was a massive issue with break ins I would not entertain having a camera. Surely it's only creepy bastards that want to sit and watch people? My neighbour has one and it makes me feel particularly uneasy. Everything seems to be getting tracked or recorded now whether it is location services on phones, trackers on cars, internet browsers, itemised phone bills, it is just all a bit wrong. It's as if no one can be trusted to do anything so we need to track everything.

Nothing to do with the workings of cameras but I generally hate these things. The idea of having your every move recorded as you move about your garden or the idea of being recorded whilst knocking on a neighbours door does not sit right with me. Unless there was a massive issue with break ins I would not entertain having a camera. Surely it's only creepy bastards that want to sit and watch people? My neighbour has one and it makes me feel particularly uneasy. Everything seems to be getting tracked or recorded now whether it is location services on phones, trackers on cars, internet browsers, itemised phone bills, it is just all a bit wrong. It's as if no one can be trusted to do anything so we need to track everything.
I appreciate the viewpoint but in fairness cameras it is not about you it is about the antisocial and criminal brigade. there are plenty of them and there it is a useful tool to bring them to account in the interest of society. Not everyone is as responsible as you and I unfortunately

I thought they are only allowed to record their own property why would that make you uneasy?
I don't know what the rules are Chippy but when you see one you don't really know what area is being covered by the camera. I don't like the idea that my kids might be recorded playing outside because my neighbour has a camera up. I feel exactly the same about people with dash cams on their cars and camera phones as well, with all three you can be getting filmed without really being aware of it. Just all a bit on an invasion of privacy, just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back