Cctv cameras..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW...
my house backs into a field,many years ago I had an intruder that was thankfully scared off by the nutty jack Russell I had then (I have a cat flap through the wall!). You could see the foot prints up the fence!!
I bought higher fence,etc... all's been good. Last week I was pottering round the garden and found a very new,clean foot long fixed blade knife that had been dumped over the fence (this is now in the police station) across the field,a few hundred yards away,recently there was an attempted burglary...whether they made their get away across an unlit field or lit up streets is probably not worth betting on..same with their approach. Also whether they were armed and dumped the knife incase they got caught...I don't know...
But what I do know is if in any way I can deter these low life scum coming onto my property near my family..I WILL.
I don't think that's any way creepy...in fact I'd have a machine gun tower if I could...
Anyway..I'll keep looking and thanks for the great advice so far!

Just all a bit on an invasion of privacy, just my opinion.

And you are entitled to voice it here.

If the person is pointing the camera into your property (even partially) that is wrong and there should be some means of getting what they are filming verified if you suspect they are.
I have no problem with people using these cameras if they are not recording outside of their own property.

I've been looking into this a bit more...I like the POE systems but seeing as a lot come with pre assembled cables that I wouldn't want to cut the plugs off...I'd have to drill a great big hole to fit 2 or three cables with 2 connectors each through the wall...plus run the cables to my camera points.
The other obvious option are WiFi cameras that would fix this but then there's the necessary battery change or charging unless I buy powered units. Which brings me to the fact in two if my points I already have wired security lights so I could just retro fit Ring floodlights..which are expensive,require a subscription..but a real easy option. My third camera I could probably manage with drilling one small hole as the cable disconnects from inside the camera with just loop terminals and gets reassembled.The cable run would only be a couple of meters so easy.
A couple of work mates have the Ring system I've described,some for a few years and it's been flawless. Subscription rates are £25 a year for each item to three items or £85 a year for as many as you want. Tons of storage and save and a life time replacement on any products stolen...

You could do away with the supplied moulded cables, buy a reel of cable and a connector crimp kit fairly cheap off of eBay , smaller holes cable's not coiled up or extended which will make a tidy job.

Mark

I've been looking into this a bit more...I like the POE systems but seeing as a lot come with pre assembled cables that I wouldn't want to cut the plugs off...I'd have to drill a great big hole to fit 2 or three cables with 2 connectors each through the wall...plus run the cables to my camera points.
The other obvious option are WiFi cameras that would fix this but then there's the necessary battery change or charging unless I buy powered units. Which brings me to the fact in two if my points I already have wired security lights so I could just retro fit Ring floodlights..which are expensive,require a subscription..but a real easy option. My third camera I could probably manage with drilling one small hole as the cable disconnects from inside the camera with just loop terminals and gets reassembled.The cable run would only be a couple of meters so easy.
A couple of work mates have the Ring system I've described,some for a few years and it's been flawless. Subscription rates are £25 a year for each item to three items or £85 a year for as many as you want. Tons of storage and save and a life time replacement on any products stolen...
you can always wire up your own ends, you need to speak nicely to an IT tech who has a cat5 crimping tool (might be a bit rare thesedays) and borrow it. If they use the tool often they will most certainly have spare connectors - in exchange for a beer or two.

Nothing to do with the workings of cameras but I generally hate these things. The idea of having your every move recorded as you move about your garden or the idea of being recorded whilst knocking on a neighbours door does not sit right with me. Unless there was a massive issue with break ins I would not entertain having a camera. Surely it's only creepy bastards that want to sit and watch people? My neighbour has one and it makes me feel particularly uneasy. Everything seems to be getting tracked or recorded now whether it is location services on phones, trackers on cars, internet browsers, itemised phone bills, it is just all a bit wrong. It's as if no one can be trusted to do anything so we need to track everything.

Any camera you have should only record the boundaries of your property. otherwise legally you need to register as a cctv (or similar) operator. I had a bit of ASBO behaviour when my eldest was in comprehensive and it was related to kids he knew, so I put a camera in the bedroom window not plugged in and when the perps past set my digital camera to 'flash' - the kids then mooned at the house. nothing was recorded. however 2-3 weeks later a PC knocked at the door. There's been reports of parcels delivered to your neighbours being stolen, do you have a webcam that might have seen anything. :rolleyes: .

Truthfully I answered no. Nothing more happened. Subsequently I traced one of the kids back after egging on the windows and nightly knock on the door. where upon the teenagers parent open their door and said are you looking for someone. Again I answered truthfully. She said i'm calling the police. I said please do. I have the right to not have trespassers on my property and I will NOT be intimidated by your son. Dad came to the door and we agreed he was not allowed to pass by our house and he said he would be grounded for 2 weeks. Fortunately they moved elsewhere because clearly their son had been in trouble before and the threat of the police backfired and made them change their tune pretty quickly.

If where I lived was not such a tidy place i'd have ended up picking my teeth up off the floor, but then I wouldn't have gone round to the perps house!

...I've found this Anran system...it's WiFi cameras(4)but they're powered. The system comes with a 1tb hard drive which has a 7" screen for set up,no subscription. Reviews seem favourable,I can power two with hardly any messing about and one with a 10mm drill hole and a waterproof box. I'd have a spare camera...£250.

Screenshot_20210307_201620_com.android.chrome.jpg

This...

Back