CD's brew days.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We brewed another 34 gallons of my favourite beer last Monday, which this time is called ‘Oral Vaccine’. (Two or more 568cc doses to be taken 30 minutes apart)! The photo of the copper, almost empty, shows how clear the wort is after the boil and whirlpool, which bodes well for the finished beer.

IMG_1453.JPG

Due to pubs being shut, the yeast had been in Summerskills Brewery’s fridge for quite a time, so both my friend there and I were concerned that it was still viable. He pitched it in some ‘Devon Dew’ on Tuesday 16th and it was fine, so I collected 1lb skimmed from his fermentor three days later. While I was there I bought a 9 pint bag-in-a-box of ‘Plymouth Porter’ to augment the bottles of beer from Morrisons I’m forced to drink at the moment, and I was pleased to see another of my friends preventing air getting into the Firkin it was drawn from.

ADNA8035.JPG

With an O.G. of 43.2, my FV was kept at 19C for 3 days by which time it had fallen to 14.2. It has been cooled to 6C since, and tomorrow I shall fill the PBs just one week after brewing. I’m guessing the gravity will be about 13 by then, leaving enough fermentable sugars for secondary fermentation, and I expect to be enjoying it more that any bottled beer by the end of the week. I will let you know.

CD do you brew the one style of beer. I always enjoy reading your posts 👍
Yes basically, the main thing that changes is the name! It’s a sort of Jail Ale clone, tweaked a bit to make it darker in winter and lighter in summer. I like it, so as the Yanks say ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.’ The grist starts with a 25Kg sack of pale malt, which my mash tun can handle nicely so no weighing out, plus crystal and wheat malts. Variables are tiny bits of choc malt, molasses, and the amount of ‘liquor ahead’ – which is just boiled water put into the FV before the wort. And thanks for the compliment, it’s much appreciated.

Regarding my comment that the clarity of the wort in my copper bode well for the finished beer, well here it is this evening, just 8 days after brewing. Tastes very nice and will no doubt improve by the day. Who's a clever little brewer then!

IMG_1468.JPG

Latest posts

Back