CD's final brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good things have to come to an end sometime, and as I am now finding that putting a brew through my 36 gallon plant is more of an ordeal than a pleasure, I have decided to call the beer we are brewing on Monday ‘Grand Finale’, and hang up my mash paddle for good when it is finished.

Your not going to start buying Carlsberg are you?
Stay on the forum as you may get your MoJo back athumb..

All good things have to come to an end sometime, and as I am now finding that putting a brew through my 36 gallon plant is more of an ordeal than a pleasure, I have decided to call the beer we are brewing on Monday ‘Grand Finale’, and hang up my mash paddle for good when it is finished.
down size perhaps?

A little all in one might be the way to go if you miss it in a few months time? 🍺 Please post some photos of your final brew day

Right, we’ve got the mash done, so time for a few quick answers.

No, I’m not going to start drinking Carlsberg, I’m working on a plan to leave the four 3 gallon PBs I own, and which are built to last, with my friendly Brewer, so he can fill them up as required.

My grandson / assistant brewer is too busy with his own business, importing and supplying carbon fibre go-faster parts for BMW owners, to brew seriously – and he prefers cider.

If I tell you that my last two items of major expenditure were a riser/recliner chair and a stair lift, you should get the picture of why I’m retiring from brewing!

I’ll post some piccies tomorrow.

Right, we’ve got the mash done, so time for a few quick answers.

No, I’m not going to start drinking Carlsberg, I’m working on a plan to leave the four 3 gallon PBs I own, and which are built to last, with my friendly Brewer, so he can fill them up as required.

My grandson / assistant brewer is too busy with his own business, importing and supplying carbon fibre go-faster parts for BMW owners, to brew seriously – and he prefers cider.

If I tell you that my last two items of major expenditure were a riser/recliner chair and a stair lift, you should get the picture of why I’m retiring from brewing!

I’ll post some piccies tomorrow.
So the last two purchases indicate you're in your 50's 😂

That's forward thinking. I'm impressed. The former to stillage the barrels, no doubt, and the latter to hoist the sacks of grain into the loft. You never told us your brewery was built on the "tower" system!

Last edited:
As requested, a few pictures of my final brew, showing in order: 1. Checking quantity and temperature of liquor in mash tun, which needs to be 16 ½ gallons and 162F (72C). 2 & 3. Head and assistant brewers mashing in. (He stirs, I shake the dustbin/grist hopper). 4. Hanging up my mash paddle for the last time. 5. Sparging.

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

As requested, a few pictures of my final brew, showing in order: 1. Checking quantity and temperature of liquor in mash tun, which needs to be 16 ½ gallons and 162F (72C). 2 & 3. Head and assistant brewers mashing in. (He stirs, I shake the dustbin/grist hopper). 4. Hanging up my mash paddle for the last time. 5. Sparging.

View attachment 54890

View attachment 54891

View attachment 54892

View attachment 54893

View attachment 54894
Great pictures CD, maybe we’ll see them again in a book some time soon - now you have time on your hands ;)

View attachment 54890

View attachment 54891

View attachment 54892

View attachment 54893

View attachment 54894

Magic. Lovely to see.

Salesman to coffin dodger: How are you getting on with the new stair lift?

Coffin dodger: It's driving me up the wall!

OK I know, I'll... :coat:

Thank you for sharing this last brew day with us 😀. There's an intimacy of sharing thoughts, process and images from something you clearly have loved doing, and spent time assembling the skills and equipment to craft something you and others can enjoy. Best of all of course, is that you get to enjoy the fruits of you labours in the weeks to come :smallcheers:.

Anna

It’s A Wrap - as they say in film circles. CD’s final brew was racked into 7 PBs yesterday, one week after brewing, and I shall have a sip this evening. It wasn’t all plain sailing, I got a low yield for some reason, and wound up with only 27 gallons instead of the expected 30+. My pal at the brewery said they had also had some low yields, and it is quite common at this time of year.

The yeast slurry from the brewery is US 05, and it dropped the gravity from 42 at pitching down to 16 just 48 hours later. I like to rack at 12 to 13 so there are enough fermentables to preclude the use of extra CO2 for dispensing, so started cooling (I dislike the phrase ‘crash cool’, which sounds typically American). A day later the PG (Present Gravity) was 11 at 13C, and at racking it was down to 9 at 5C, so it remains to be seen how much gas from a S30 cylinder will be needed.

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

Pictures showing the A.B. filling, and the final yield. Note the two 3 gallon PBs, which I've had for about 30 years and are sadly now obsolete.

Back