Celeia or Target?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Wooffindin

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Whist I've home-brewed for a few years now, it's all been extract brewing. I'm now moving to the next phase to the world of all grain brewing.

I've just bottled a couple of batches of IPA as a first trial and I'm now looking to attempt a few of my favourite beers, namely Hereford Pale Ale and Hobgoblin Gold. As the HPA looks a bit simpler, I'm going to try that one first.

To my question... I found a clone recipe on this website that is as follows:

Grain Bill
----------------
2.040 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.27%)
0.220 kg Wheat Malt (9.73%)

Hop Bill
----------------
16.0 g Target Leaf (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
5.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes

However, when I look at the Wye Valley website, it states Celeia as the first hop rather than Target. When I look at the hop profiles, they seem quite different. I've bought all the ingredients already, but I'm wondering whether to buy some Celeia instead? Does anyone have a view on this? I'm also planning to use Nottingham Yeast.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Chris

I am always confused looking through stuff on tinterweb whether Celeia is another term for Styrian Goldings, others may be able to advise. Styrian Goldings are basically an aroma hop. Your recipe calls for Target at 60mins which means they are being used as a bittering hop and will not contribute much to flavour less so aroma. So if you use Styrian Goldings/Celeia instead of Target you will clearly need to adjust the quantities for %AA. So if I were you I would use the Target hops as required by the recipe. But buy a pack of Styrian Goldings. I use them to dry hop and they are a useful addition to your hop store.

when I look at the Wye Valley website, it states Celeia as the first hop rather than Target
Hi!
The Wye Valley site specifies Target and Celeia.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PDgSmcDzZge2FuEE2
I suggest that Target is used as the bittering hop and Celeia for the late hop addition.
One comment on the YCH Hops website says that Celeia's flavour is closer to Fuggles than EKG, suggesting that they are both close substitutes to Celeia. Perhaps the source of your recipe had no Celeia but had EKG.

As @Bigcol49 says it'll definitely be Target for bittering and Celeia for finishing. I love Celeia, it's my favourite of the Styrian Goldings family. A wonderful flavour and aroma.

Ah... thanks all, the comments make sense to me.

So, in summary, Target for 'bittering' at the beginning of the boil, then the original recipe calls for East Kent Golding for the aroma/flavour. When I read the profile for the Celeia - Earthy, Herbal, it's quite different to the East Kent Golding - citrus, spicy (so similar to Target)?

In that case, I think the thinking of the original recipe might have been swayed by what was to hand. As I'm making two batches, I'll use the Celeia, and the EKG, and I'll keep you posted on the results!

Thanks again.
Chris

Latest posts

Back