Cellar 7 Merlot wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerowpete

Regular.
Reaction score
New one to me, if i want a seven day wine i aim at tea bags, but the memsaab had picked it for christmas pressies. Kit it self comes as a box within it is a plastic 4l container and instructions and yeast starter.

so we dropped the lot into a fermentor bin and kicked it off, normally we would use aan air lock but this time chose a pipe back down into the water jacket to vent off. the barrel was stood in a muck tub and filled with water plus a fish tank heater. set to 20 degrees

we found the yeast really struggled to start so we have a fish tank air blobbler which gave it 12 hours of oxygen to help it along , by which time it was in full silly mode. that was last weekend, this weekend we changed fermentor barrels to rack it off the waste.

its sat at sg 1005 right now i have not added any ferm killer but left it to finish off on its own for the next week.

we had a small taster, the flavours are there but its full of co2 rightnow and very acidic because of it, we took 50mm in a glass and shoock it to kill the co2 and tried a tiny touch of back sweetener and it really did come alive

so , so far yes it was worth the money to buy it and whilst i wont be drinking it in seven days theres no real reason why you could not be doing so

I have done alot of these kits. they always come up fruity , quite light , bright and summery. this is not a complaint. It makes a great sangria. I opened one of them from 2018 over Christmas. I must say , ding dong!! very very good!!

I also have one of these on the go , well its resting now. I used grape powder in it also to see what happened. it looks promising.

Back