cellar temp vs fridge temp

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by kimosabby, Jul 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jul 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM #1

kimosabby

kimosabby

kimosabby

Gents,

just a quick one; read a few things on the forum regarding cellering temps and cold conditioning.

I always finish the carbing stage at 2 weeks at about 20 degrees. I have an outhouse fridge that doesnt work and keep all finished bottles in there. As the fridge doesnt work the temp obviously fluctuates between the seasons but less though than just leaving them in the outhouse without the fridge. I move a few bottles at a time into the fridge in house (beer fridge in lounge :) ).

The question is, is it better to store post carbed bottles at fridge temps (3-5 degrees) as oppsoed to cellar (8-12 degrees)? Or is it not that relevant.

I brew a range of light IPA and dark Belgium's an dthey all stored together

K

2. Jul 14, 2019 at 12:04 PM #2

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

It might make a very (and usually another "very"!) subtle difference, but basically, do what is convenient. For me the kegs probably sit around at room temperature until preparing them to serve.

Real (historic) IPA would have got stored at tropical temperatures 'cos it wasn't convenient to store it at any other temperature (on a ship, on the equator, with no refrigeration).

3. Jul 14, 2019 at 12:37 PM #3

RichK

RichK

RichK

I'd be inclined to just store in the cellar at those temps. If you want them a bit cooler to drink, then bring into fridge on an as required basis.

Mine just sit under the stairs after carbing. It's the coolest spot available (and is available to store 60 odd bottles) and then cool them a bit (car cool box) to drink :)

4. Jul 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM #4

kimosabby

kimosabby

kimosabby

Cheers gents finally a nibble on the thread ...

The reason I ask I was thinking of getting a working tall ladder fridge to store everything cold continuously but cost and energy is significant.

If u were to keep bottles at secondary fermentation temp after 2 weeks conditioning would they continue to carb or once the sugar has been used it’s not relevant? The reason I ask this I have a batch of all grain mosaic grapefruit ipa and I used about a level teaspoon for carbing. Was slightly bigger head than I would have liked but was still good but a few months down the line of storing them at about 15-20 in the non working larder fridge the latter ones are definitely now sigbifixantly lively when opening

5. Jul 14, 2019 at 4:11 PM #5

RichK

RichK

RichK

IIRC if you get down to about 12C or below, then yeast will stop fermenting. You may have used too much carbing sugar. Ballpark figure is about 4g / litre.

Generally, I'll only chill my beers prior to drinking.