Cereal Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

AG Novice
Reaction score
Chickened out of first AG and went instead with Stephen Hare's 'Cereal Beer' all extract. 12 litres in my new Cygnet boiler, coming up to 15 min Cascade addition...:thumb:

Nope - all the cereal sits in a muslin bag (like BIAB), so that's now sat on the worktop while I work out if our (fussy) chickens will eat it.

Beer now safely tucked up in fermenter. OG observed at 1052°. I am genuinely pleased that I have hit the OG to within 1° on my first go! :grin:

... while I work out if our (fussy) chickens will eat it...

Chickens love it. But I have to conclude that what they love is scratching about in it, spreading it all over the shop, probably looking for worms.

Pigs on the other hand... (well they tend to like anything they can fit in their mouths).

Air lock not showing any activity, so was getting paranoid. Just tested and hydrometer reckons it's at 1.016 already. I didn't think the yeast had started up in earnest yet. Now I'm thinking the brand new fermenter is not sealing 100% and failing to maintain pressure (but there is enough pressure to push the water level down in the air lock). More investigation needed I think. Already thinking I might have to save up for a conical fermenter...

Despite being a couple of days early I couldn't wait any longer and broke into a couple of bottles tonight. Tastes great, well carbed and retains a good head all the way down. Taste is reminiscent of a Weizen, probably reinforced by the clouded appearance. I will try to keep the mini-kegs another couple of weeks to clear if it clears any more, but I'll be happy with it if this is as good as it gets. If it doesn't clear then I might try a Weihenstephan yeast next time to reinforce the Weizen character.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back