Quantcast

Cestrian Brewday

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

buddsy

Reaction score
Got two brews on yesterday after ruining my last three brews with bleachy bottles. I've got 150 bottles of beer under the stairs and I've had to go down the Co-op to buy beer, because it's all going down the sink. I'm not happy!
That seem very bad luck! Bleachy bottles? What happened did you forget to rinse or something?

Looks like you made good progress since this set back.

buddsy

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Interested to note your hop schedules both have Magnum for bittering and the other hop additions are at flame-out. Do you use that approach for all your brews? Do you stick with Magnum or use other high a/a bittering hops? Have you ever compared the flame-out approach with more conventional flavour hop additions to assess the impact? I follow a similar approach to you using either Magnum or Apollo (or occasionally using up ends of bags of whatever I have) but haven’t done a side-by-side comparison yet.
I’ve tried many bittering hops over the years and l find magnum just gives a nice clean bitterness. I’ve used first gold, Apollo & northern brewer recently. All pretty good, but magnum is my favourite bittering hop. I like using challenger for bittering too in English type ales.
I don’t usually just do flame out hops. I was just having a lazy brew day, but when I was planning these brews, I was looking back through my brew notes and found a recipe that had made a really nice beer, which had just used FO hops. It was my attempt at a Manx PA clone using galaxy and citra. So these two brews were roughly inspired by that hop schedule.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
That seem very bad luck! Bleachy bottles? What happened did you forget to rinse or something?

Looks like you made good progress since this set back.

buddsy
It was when lockdown had just started and people were stock piling toilet roll, hand sanitiser and bleach. I grabbed the last bottle of bleach in Asda and it was not anything I'd used before; domestos ultra white and sparkle. This stuff will just not come off, no matter how many times you try and rinse. I posted about it here. Just have to put these things down to experience, but it was hard to pour all that beer down the sink.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Got two brews on today, both loosely based on the Sierra Nevada PA recipe plus a few other hops

SN PA + Citra & Mosaic
Volume 25L
OG1053
32 IBU

2.25Kg Golden promise
3.25Kg Marris Otter
0.25Kg Caragold
0.25Kg Caramunich 1
0.20Kg Wheat malt

Magnum 20g @60
Cascade 25g @15
Cascade 25g @10