Chabge of Malt or mistake with Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfapat

Reaction score
I have been using the same recipe for a year now , which I like a lot . There is a problem though. I watched a gtbrew video and they said on it to bottle very soon after carbonising to condition . In the past I have waited two weeks in the warm before storing cold . I changed the plan and the first bottle , after sitting in warmth overnight went to the cold , and turned out flat . Not only was it flat it was much paler than other brews so not too sure what If anything have I done wrong . Last months was the first brew with the dried powder , which you added water and boiled , not a fan of this method , I can only assume its temporary because its a knawse trying to boil it mixed with water and stopping it rising over the top of the pan ! I hope supplies go back to tubs soon.

Has anyone had this pale colour with this recipe before.

if there's a way to just go back to what you were doing before, I'd do that; it sounded like proper beer carbonating.
I have not had the experience you mention. But, if I understand the post correctly, maybe the cold had some effect on it.

Many thanks, I will maybe bring back into warmth, what about the pale brew all of a sudden , this is before I bottled it.

OK , so last brew was perfect, same 2.5kg of malt powder which has to be mixed with water and set to boil , not easy task as it boils over when not expecting and difficult to keep it ther same. This Malt used to be in tubs from gter. Much easier! However it came out the usual darker colour and extremely drinkable. The fermentation was 8 days at 22 degrees. The hops were introduced at the SG of 0015 and sat in for three days , then bottled.
The new brew after 10 days at the same temp. remained steady at .0015 and hops were in for 4 , so not too different , but out came this much paler yellow coloured solution. Still tastes good , so not all lost.

Yeah, I have found that it is quite difficult to not make beer. Barring a few, major "dont's," the beer will come out at least pretty good.
Your procedure looks spot-on. I can only guess it's not your procedure but the product. Further than that, like I mentioned, maybe another member has some insight.

I have been using the same recipe for a year now , which I like a lot . There is a problem though. I watched a gtbrew video and they said on it to bottle very soon after carbonising to condition . In the past I have waited two weeks in the warm before storing cold . I changed the plan and the first bottle , after sitting in warmth overnight went to the cold , and turned out flat . Not only was it flat it was much paler than other brews so not too sure what If anything have I done wrong . Last months was the first brew with the dried powder , which you added water and boiled , not a fan of this method , I can only assume its temporary because its a knawse trying to boil it mixed with water and stopping it rising over the top of the pan ! I hope supplies go back to tubs soon.

Has anyone had this pale colour with this recipe before.
In the video what he was referring too as regards to carbonating is that by using the hydrometer check before final gravity had been reached and use the extra gravity points to carbonate in the bottle.
I.E FG 1.012 then bottle at 1.016 for instance hence using the 4 points from residual sugars.

Ah OK, thanks , so quite crucial to get bottling a little sooner, as the brew earlier was or I finished it earlier.
Still don't discount colour which has been constant for a year.
Not to worry, thanks again.

Ah OK, thanks , so quite crucial to get bottling a little sooner, as the brew earlier was or I finished it earlier.
Still don't discount colour which has been constant for a year.
Not to worry, thanks again.
If this is the same brew for which you used dry powder is it possible this was light or extra light DME which would account for the colour difference.

If this is the same brew for which you used dry powder is it possible this was light or extra light DME which would account for the colour difference.
Yes, a valid point, thank you. Didnt know this could change.. However this brew kit was bought for me , by the same person who started my homebrewing a year ago, and my purchases have been based on what I have been ordering before. So yeah , that is maybe the answer to all this.

Latest posts

Back