Change of hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirebladeAdam

Regular.
Reaction score
I make a lovely IPA with Cascade hops (so really I suppose it's an APA!). Anyway I think I might be bored of cascade... What else should i try? What hop could I substitute it for? It would be lovely to use an English hop; I've got Harlequin but I use it for a bitter I make... My feeling is it wouldn't suit the IPA.
Here's the recipe for the interested:
4 kg pale ale malt
1 kg wheat malt
85g crystal 240
250 g carapils
80g terrified oats
66C 1x hr
60 mins 10g cascade
30 mins 10g cascade
0 mins 60g cascade
45 minute hopstand
Pitch Llaemand Nottingham

So if I was going to change the hop what do you think?? I've never tried Nelson Sauvin but would that work ok?,
Thanks clever folk 😉

I recently did a first gold smash which i enjoyed. Thinking about using first gold again, but with some added crystal or munich and possibly bitter with target or magnum and use more first gold at the end.

So.... 👍 to first gold

Cool... Thanks guys, I think Magnum is a very heavyweight hop! Brill for bittering though in my opinion. I'll read about EKG and First Gold is no doubt a good shout

I’ve made an IPA with Bramling cross.

when it was fresh it was a bit weird, still hazy and tasted something like I imagine a cross between a bitter and IPA would taste like.

however a few weeks in the keg and it’s really come into its own. It’s a proper nice IPA

I did 200g in total.

I never follow my own advice as I’m always impatient to get stuck into a new brew, butthis definitely improved loads by letting it condition a while.

Attachments

• 933ABA97-FD16-4EBA-870C-9F55048ED373.png
    933ABA97-FD16-4EBA-870C-9F55048ED373.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back