Changes to the highway code.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I know that but and I am not anti cyclist but I an trying to level up the thread as it has been stated that so called Road Fund Licence is not used for the building of and the up keep of roads so why should cyclist pay EFL/VED when infact it is with additional funding from other government taxes.
Pot hole repairs come from Central Government funding which is where VED goes so cyclists, battery powered wheelchairs and electric scooters where allowed do not contribute in full where people who pay VED contribute the extra amount above any other contribution by the general public

The latest data I can find says 87% of cyclists drive a car also in the UK.
It is a larger amount than I would have thought
I am guessing this data must only include adults

If I were solely a car driver and didn't like cyclists, I would find it hard to get worked up over those numbers.
But there's always the person were you to give them a hundred dollars for no reason, they'd complain that it wasn't in 20 dollar bills. I can't readily do a pound sign--yet.

The problem Dave as with most issues where there are 2 sides is that there are good and bad cyclist/drivers on both sides and that is where the angst comes from.
The majority can put up with each other respectfully but for some it becomes a mission in life to throw mud at each other

just going back to the original post... regardless of Mr loophole or any other lawyers interpretation of the update, the emphasis as I see it is to simply make everyone think a little bit more about behaving on the roads in a way recognises that some people are more vulnerable than others, so we should all be a bit more careful not to kill or seriously hurt more people..I have had a range of cycling commutes over the years and it is can be scary out there on a bike, I know it is my choice, I am not trying to hold anyone up... I could sit on my own in a big metal car with 4 empty seats, but I can travel 20km across London quicker on a bike than I can in a car.... My other half worries about my commuting by bike. 4 years ago I got knocked of by a car, I was t-boned it at 26kmh, they turned right and didn't check their mirror. At that speed in a car it probably wouldn't have been an insurance claim and a headache from an airbag. I broke two ribs, cracked my sternum , cuts and bruises and the most pain in have every known, I was off work for a week, when I layed down it felt like my chest was going to fall into my lungs..... I am daft enough to get back in a bike, but I would have been nice if that driver would have checked their mirror...and I know that's all about me, but...I am just going a long way around saying it's about the proportionality of the risk surely and not about who is getting in whoever's way or paying more.. hgv hurts car, car hurts bike, bike hurts pedestrian so the higher up the food chain the more responsibility you have...

The problem Dave as with most issues where there are 2 sides is that there are good and bad cyclist/drivers on both sides and that is where the angst comes from.
The majority can put up with each other respectfully but for some it becomes a mission in life to throw mud at each other

The angst from cyclists comes from the fact that cars, vans, etc. pose a potentially fatal danger. All I want are roads that we can all share safely. Unfortunately anti-cyclist sentiments such as 'cyclists don't pay road tax' create an environment where people don't drive safely around cyclists because they perceive them as a nuisance that shouldn't be on the road.

I agree Wurp I personally do not ride a bike anymore of any description I did used to have a motorbike but gave that up about 12 years ago because I deemed it too dangerous with other road users. I personally would not ride a bike even though me and the wife wanted one for pleasure reasons but decided against it for the reasons you have said

As you can see from my pic i rode motorcycles (also cars) for about 48 years, i was never ever knocked of had an accident or hit anything apart from my own **** when learning, my mantra was when my leg went over the bike everything and everyone was trying to kill me, i had a few close calls with cagers over the years, the bike in my pic is a honda cx500 v twin over 12 years i put 70,000 miles on it all over the uk and europe, you will never settle this car bike cyclist thing just look out for self and keep the rubber side down athumb..

The problem is there are far too many vehicles on the road. Its bad for the environment, and bad for peoples health, so these changes I would suggest have been brought in to encourage people to abandon their cars and get on their bikes!
I will try and do my bit I hope you will too!

As you can see from my pic i rode motorcycles (also cars) for about 48 years, i was never ever knocked of had an accident or hit anything apart from my own **** when learning, my mantra was when my leg went over the bike everything and everyone was trying to kill me, i had a few close calls with cagers over the years, the bike in my pic is a honda cx500 v twin over 12 years i put 70,000 miles on it all over the uk and europe, you will never settle this car bike cyclist thing just look out for self and keep the rubber side down athumb..

I ride my bicycle with the same self-preservation attitude but unfortunately I have still had some incredibly scary near misses due to people not driving in a safe manner.

never had a speeding ticket
I've never had one technically but that fact is misleading. I got pulled over plenty when I was younger but I also never carried my license. Each time, I got the ticket for not having my license which is just a minor fine but no strikes against the driving record. Got lucky a lot of times.

I ride my bicycle with the same self-preservation attitude but unfortunately I have still had some incredibly scary near misses due to people not driving in a safe manner.
Over the years i have had a few very near missis, one that comes to mind was in Warrington me and my mate had just turned right into a side road about ten yards in was a junction with a car pulling out with the lady driver looking left she must have already looked right, the look on her face when she saw 2 smiling bikers if a picture paints comes to mind

Is the Cycling Proficiency Test still a thing?
I remember (many years ago now), that we all had to do it in primary school.
I doubt that many of the cyclists around where I live would pass it.
(I'm not in any way anti-cyclist - my late father was a well respected road racer, and my brother is semi-pro.)
What really boils my p**s is that horses can sh*t anywhere on the road (normally right in the middle of a blind corner) where it can be lethal for a motorcyclist/cyclist, but if one of my dogs did it on the pavement (not that they do!) I would be hung, drawn and quartered....

I'm the not too distant future we will be riding around in automated self driven cars and all this could be irrelevant as the manufacturers will be responsible.
https://news.sky.com/story/self-dri...ous-vehicles-crash-watchdog-proposes-12525312
At the moment an old airfield about a mile from me is being developed into a testing track for these automated vehicles - looks to be the future.

Seems Total Recall was right !

So Justin Dean I can only deduce that you do believe that a) the roads are not overcrowded b) that the pollution created by motor vehicles is not bad for the environment, or to peoples health?
You don't by any chance belong to the flat earth society as well do you?

Latest posts

Back