Cheap Lactose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I forgot to get lactose with my last supplies order and I need it for a beer I have fermenting away now. It seems that if I buy online I have to pay a lot for lactose and then more for shipping, making it quite expensive. Does somewhere do lactose cheaper? I'm after 500g.

Thanks.

My local brewpub gets it's lactose from a local cheese maker. Do you have any dairies nearby?
Unfortunately not. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and pay up this time.

Yeah that's definitely dextrose not lactose that goes for £2.50 a pop in Wilko.

My best suggestion would be to bung it in with another order. That way the postage doesn't sting so much.

Tbh I always throw a few low priced items like that into orders that are just under the free postage limit. Even if I have to pay an extra fiver, it means I save overall and keeps my cupboards stocked for future brews as well!

Balliihoo online. £3.49 for 500g lactose and £2.50 for P&P since its under 1kg, which gives you the flexibility to add any other low weight stuff you might also have forgotten provided the total packing weight is not more than 1kg. athumb..

I have an unopened 500g bag which was intended for a brew which never happened, if you're not in a hurry I could get it in the post on Thursday for you?

Lactose is unfermentable by yeast so additions will sweeten a beer.
Dextrose fully ferments out.

In addition to this, lactose will add body and make the mouthfeel fuller, whereas dextrose adds ABV but makes it drier.

Lactose would be used in for e.g. a stout to sweeten it up and add some 'weight', and dextrose might be added to a DIPA to add ABV but not too much body, to keep it from being too heavy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back