Cheaper Wine Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willshill1

Reaction score
Hi has anyone added supermarket grape juice instead of water to wine kits with lower amount of concentrates

Yes I have but and this is the but if you are doing a red the red supermarket grape juice will only still make the cheaper kits come out more like a deeper rose than a full red. They will obviously be a big improvement than adding loads of sugar and give little more depth and body. I usually add 3 litres to a 30 bottle kit and reduce the sugar. It is well known that the cheaper white wines from kits are better than red kits unless you start spending £40 plus on the reds. The cheaper reds can be well drinkable but do not expect a full blooded deep flavoured red but more likely between a rose and a red

Have a Beaverdale coming near bottling at the minute and was planning a cheaper kit , The Range have a red kit around £20 , lower concentrate , probably only 2 litres, was thinking about maybe 5 litres of grape juice, have Tesco Lidl and Sainsbury’s within a mile from me, and that lucky supermarket with the cheapest price will get my £5-6, will I have to reduce sugar and get a gravity reading, or as you said will it be a wishy washy bodiless red . Do I stick with the middle of the road £40 kits

It will not be wishy washy as quite a few forum members have made this wine but as I have said it will be a cross between a rose and red the reason is the supermarket red wine juice is not made from wine making grapes so will not give the same results as a proper red wine grape. If you are after a truer red stay with the beaverdales and upward kits but if you like a lighter red style go with the Range kit and add 3 litres of supermarket juice and a little reduction on the sugar Ps it does tell you how many grams of sugar is in the red grape juice so you can roughly adjust the sugar amount

Thanks, The Range kit £24.99 + £6 -10 for juice and sugar, heading close to better quality kits with recognised red styles , think I answered my own questions , but it help as a newbie to ask ,

Latest posts

Back