Cheapest all grain recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I picked up 25kg of pale malt the other day! 8.7kg will be going towards making an imperial stout.
I was wondering if anyone has done a strong smash? Is it a thing at all, like 8kg pale malt and 100g bittering hops? Or would this be nasty?
100g of bittering hops (depending on which ones) would be quite a lot. You could easily do a brew with half that.

100g of bittering hops (depending on which ones) would be quite a lot. You could easily do a brew with half that.
Fair play! Was also looking at doing this one, it states 4kg pale malt, Maris otter- do you think this means I can use either? Or just Maris otter?

Attachments

• A9267305-C5B4-4A93-AFC4-0E219A3F983C.png
    A9267305-C5B4-4A93-AFC4-0E219A3F983C.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
Maris otter is a pale malt (well, actually it's a specific variety of barley (otter) from the Maris company).

So you can just use any pale malt

So I picked up 25kg of pale malt the other day! 8.7kg will be going towards making an imperial stout.
I was wondering if anyone has done a strong smash? Is it a thing at all, like 8kg pale malt and 100g bittering hops? Or would this be nasty?
Depends on your brewing system/method 8kg grain might give you a very poor efficiency.

You can make a good beer with virtually any one hop
5 points only uses fuggles (which is cheap) OR
just Amarillo if you want the American taste OR
EKG - hugely underated
I did a Jester SMASH twice and it really was good
It really is simple since there are so many resources out there to get you going
Ask the guys on here for a recipe, and they will be all over you like a rash

You can make a good beer with virtually any one hop
5 points only uses fuggles (which is cheap) OR
just Amarillo if you want the American taste OR
EKG - hugely underated
I did a Jester SMASH twice and it really was good
It really is simple since there are so many resources out there to get you going
Ask the guys on here for a recipe, and they will be all over you like a rash
Oh yeah trust me I know just by this thread alone the advice is phenomenal. I was thinking a SMASH was more of a summer drink? May be wrong? This is why I wondered if there are any recipes using mainly pale malt that can be a good autumn/ winter brew, something strong..

I've seen Märzens as a SMASH - Munich and something like Northern Brewer.

Realise that won't help you now you've brought 25kg of pale malt, but may give someone else an idea.

Oh yeah trust me I know just by this thread alone the advice is phenomenal. I was thinking a SMASH was more of a summer drink? May be wrong? This is why I wondered if there are any recipes using mainly pale malt that can be a good autumn/ winter brew, something strong..
You can make a smash in almost any style you want, as long as no specialty malts are needed. Pale ales, IPA, lager can all be done as smash.

Maris otter is a pale malt (well, actually it's a specific variety of barley (otter) from the Maris company).

So you can just use any pale malt

Maris Otter was developed by the UK plant breeding institute near Cambridge. The name Maris came from the road where the institute was based, my father-in-law was a regular visitor to the institute with his work in the grain industry. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a Maris company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maris_Otter

Maris Otter was developed by the UK plant breeding institute near Cambridge. The name Maris came from the road where the institute was based, my father-in-law was a regular visitor to the institute with his work in the grain industry. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a Maris company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maris_Otter
👍 I know that the Maris part came from the company - I assumed it was the company name. Thanks for the correction

Back