Cheapest all grain recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

Jim Brewster

Malt teaser
Reaction score
I'd do a Golden Ale, 4-odd%, Maris Otter pale, malted wheat optional, lowish amount of bittering hops at 60 or 30 minutes (30min boil will reduce cost slightly), aroma hops at flameout, no dry hop.

Wheat beer could be done cheaply as well 50/50 malted barley and malted wheat.

For a strong beer you could do a simple Belgian Abbey or Blond or Saison, just limit the # of malts and hops

Depends what you like. Try re-using the yeast a few times as well if doing the same beer again.

Last edited:

Monkhouse

Reaction score
Save money on hops and make an Elderflower saison. (Assumes you like the flavour of elderflower)
This sounds really interesting! I’ve got allot of elderflower heads in the freezer as my wife makes cordial. I can’t imagine how elderflower would work in a beer- does it add bitterness the same as hops do if added to the start of the boil?
Do you split the additions?
If you’ve got a specific recipe for this one I’d be very much willing to give it a bash

prog99

Landlord.
Reaction score
Still need your bittering hops but then with the elder flowers throw a decent bunch of them in at flameout. I'm kegging a kwiek elderflower pale ale this evening but have done a saison in the past and it worked really well.

Monkhouse

Reaction score
I did the Tribute AG kit from Malt Miller. 2 types of grain, 3 types of hops and the yeast for £15. Made a cracking pint. Better than the real thing I had the other day to be honest.
Another great suggestion! I’ve got waaaaay too many ideas now 😂😂 this thread should be a sticky 👍🏼

KegThat

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
This recipe is a bit leftfield, but it's really easy, really cheap and makes a fantastic tropical sour.

3.75kg maris otter
200g wheat
450g rolled oats

No hops

ferment at 35°C with Ebbergarden farmhouse. It's a strain which contains several lactobacillus strains and adds a tropical flavour of mango, papaya and pineapple. We're gonna be doing a video on this very soon actually and adding an ingredients pack to the site.

Monkhouse

Reaction score
If you have a local brewery, wander down to them and ask if you can buy some of the malt from them. Some are happy to do it, some aren't so it's the luck of the draw. Wholesale prices are far cheaper than homebrew stores. Check whether it's crushed or uncrushed first!
I did just this the other day- my local brewery does 25kg sacks of crushed pale malt for £22

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting! I’ve got allot of elderflower heads in the freezer as my wife makes cordial. I can’t imagine how elderflower would work in a beer- does it add bitterness the same as hops do if added to the start of the boil?
Do you split the additions?
If you’ve got a specific recipe for this one I’d be very much willing to give it a bash
I would suggest adding some of this cordial to a pale sort of a bitter / golden ale sort of thing and seeing whether it still seems like a good idea.
If you add too many Elderflowers, it is a bit over powering and adding the cordial a little at a time might inform a sensible ratio?

Rento

Reaction score
My go to low cost brew is a stout! This one in particular is fab, it’s a take on the Home Brew Channel (youtube) Irish stout. It’s lovely, although not Much over 4%. This is my MM basket for 19l

Attachments

• 49471B64-062E-48FE-A059-798A15913764.jpeg
    49471B64-062E-48FE-A059-798A15913764.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts