Cheapest CO2 supplier in Cardiff/SE Wales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leard

Reaction score
Once my beer has finished fermentation my keezer will be ready to go, so now I just need some CO2. What's the cheapest supplier people have found in Cardiff and the surrounding area?

Once my beer has finished fermentation my keezer will be ready to go, so now I just need some CO2. What's the cheapest supplier people have found in Cardiff and the surrounding area?

Gas Link Wales

6.35Kg cylinder

£75 deposit fully refunded and £18 for the gas

I find Adams Gas sold through GMF a fair price. ISTR that the first 6.35Kg bottle is about £55 and then refills are £20 ish. GMF have a couple of branches in Cardiff, Bridgend and Swansea so I my bottle tends to last a year or two and I can swap over whichever one I'm passing.

Adams Gas are a West Wales firm and the one or two queries I have sent them have been answered promptly. Hasn't' made any difference to me but all their CO2 is food grade.

Are GMF open again? I've been getting my Adams Gas refils from Cross Farm out by Cowbridge during lockdown

I've decided to go with Wales and West Cellar Gas. £75 deposit and £15 refill for a 6.35kg cylinder. It should fit in my kegerator as well which is the best thing. Many of the others only offer 6.35kg cylinders that are 85cm tall.

Hi @illdawg GMF are certainly open in Birchgrove, Cardiff as I collected a bottle from there a couple of weeks ago.

Is Cross Farm the one by Pentre Meurig crossroads? My daughter is in school in Cowbridge so this may be more convenient for me in future. What do they charge for a refill?

Hi @illdawg GMF are certainly open in Birchgrove, Cardiff as I collected a bottle from there a couple of weeks ago.

Is Cross Farm the one by Pentre Meurig crossroads? My daughter is in school in Cowbridge so this may be more convenient for me in future. What do they charge for a refill?

That's the one. I live in Cardiff and work in Pencoed, and Cross Farm is right at the intersection where you get on the a48 coming down from Pencoed. They were super friendly there and I believe all Adams Gas suppliers charge the same. I think it is something like £15 for a refil, I use a smaller cylinder because I have limited space in/around my kegarator.

Hi all, bringing this thread back alive as got some follow up questions for, well, each of you!

In short, I'm in Cardiff and after a co2 tank that will fit in an undercounter fridge (max height approx 70cm, width excl box 24cm) . Im pretty sure this means I'll need a 3kg bottle or smaller.

Hi @Petrolhead, just wondering how it works with GMF as I can't see them listed as a supplier on the Adams Gas website. Do I need to call up Adams first or can I just head to the GMF Cardiff branch?

I've decided to go with Wales and West Cellar Gas. £75 deposit and £15 refill for a 6.35kg cylinder. It should fit in my kegerator as well which is the best thing. Many of the others only offer 6.35kg cylinders that are 85cm tall.

@Leard how tall are wales and West cellar cylinders? Again, afraid I can't find this on their website. Perhaps another option for me.

That's the one. I live in Cardiff and work in Pencoed, and Cross Farm is right at the intersection where you get on the a48 coming down from Pencoed. They were super friendly there and I believe all Adams Gas suppliers charge the same. I think it is something like £15 for a refil, I use a smaller cylinder because I have limited space in/around my kegarator.

@illdawg Cross Farm was looking like my back up option. Again, can I just turn up to pick up a bottle or do I need to arrange with Adams gas first? Hopefully they will be open this week.

Thanks all in advance and sorry for all the questions!!

I already had an empty bottle so just went in and changed it so I assume if you aren’t exchanging you do the same but pay the deposit.

Probably best to call them and check their stock.

Thanks.

For future reference, both GMF branches in Cardiff were out of bottles but charged £29 (incl VAT) to refill the 3.15kg bottle and deposit about £50 (can't remember exactly).
I went for Howell Adams Engineering (Cross Farm, Cowbridge) as stated above and picked up a 1.5kg bottle for £23 refill and £25 deposit. The deposit is the same across sizes and refill cost changes little for more gas (£26 for 6kg refill).

Hope this helps

Sorry to bring this back to life. I'm in Swansea and in need of gas. I got confused between CO2, 60/40 or 70/30. I'm mainly going ot be doing American style IPA, West Coast etc.

Anyone able to advise?

Back