Cheapest no rinse sanitiser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys , which is the cheapest (and decent) hack for no rinse sanitiser please

You can look up the Charlie Talley no rinse sanitiser which worked for a while but then ended up with loads of beer that tasted like **** because it had phenols because cheap "thin" bleach just doesn't give a **** if it's got stuff from a previous run that's got surfactant in it from a previous run.

Take it from a cheap piece of **** that is me - cheapest star san is star san. Cheap me would ignore this until about 160 **** pints later.

You can look up the Charlie Talley no rinse sanitiser which worked for a while but then ended up with loads of beer that tasted like **** because it had phenols because cheap "thin" bleach just doesn't give a **** if it's got stuff from a previous run that's got surfactant in it from a previous run.

Take it from a cheap piece of **** that is me - cheapest star san is star san. Cheap me would ignore this until about 160 **** pints later.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I feel that 👍💪

I made a Bleach sanitiser spreadsheet if you want to try the Charlie Talley stuff - I'll link if you like. It's a perfect idea but because of imperfect manufacturing it kicked me right in the ****. Not getting link now - too drunk

I made a Bleach sanitiser spreadsheet if you want to try the Charlie Talley stuff - I'll link if you like. It's a perfect idea but because of imperfect manufacturing it kicked me right in the ****. Not getting link now - too drunk
Lol send it when you've had a bacon butty 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just buy star San. I bought a 500ml bottle almost 10 years ago and there is still about a third left. So at this rate it'll last me 15 years. It cost me £15. £1 a year. I think you can afford it.

Same here, 7 years ago I bought a litre of Starsan when i was in Michigan for work, cost me around £25(converted) at the time, i still have well over half a bottle, just used good Tesco bottled water to make up batches as it does go cloudy if your water is hard like mine.

Starsan 1ml per 1 liters water always work for me just getting to the end of a bottle around 250 ml I got 3 years out of it and still some left

Starsan 1ml per 1 liters water always work for me just getting to the end of a bottle around 250 ml I got 3 years out of it and still some left
So 1 ml per litre so that's 23ml per batch to clean everything ?

Just make up as much as you need, so 5ml in 5l, 10ml in 10l etc. You don't need to fill a fermenter with it, I put a couple of litres in and give it a good shake - it foams up and covers everything
See that's where I was getting confused, I was told I had to fill the fv to the top each time so that would use my chemsan quite quickly.thanks for the info

See that's where I was getting confused, I was told I had to fill the fv to the top each time so that would use my chemsan quite quickly.thanks for the info

As long as the surfaces have been cleaned, then your sanitiser only needs to make contact with each surface. 1 litre would be plenty to swish about. You can reuse it too.

There is no 'hack' for a cheap no rinse sanitiser (though am not sure what a 'hack' is, but I'm guessing you mean how to make your own).

The only alternative I can offer is a 1.25 ml videne ordered from your local chemist and 1 teaspoon citric acid to 1 litre of water. Keep it in a spray bottle and when it goes clear, you need to replace it. However, I don't think it's any cheaper than StarSan as I've never finished a 500ml bottle before the use by date has passed.

Back