Checking fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say that's done. Beer always looks it's darkest in the bucket. The dark line above the surface shows where the Krausen rose to at maximum, and has now shrunk back completely. I'd bottle and prime, cap and leave it for 2 weeks in a room temp place. Then chill and start drinking!

I'd say that's done. Beer always looks it's darkest in the bucket. The dark line above the surface shows where the Krausen rose to at maximum, and has now shrunk back completely. I'd bottle and prime, cap and leave it for 2 weeks in a room temp place. Then chill and start drinking!
What about a conditioning period after the 2 weeks carbing? Most beers are better if left at least 3 weeks after bottling. Even better four weeks, and even then they may only be drinkable not yet at their best . And some beers especially dark or strong beers may take a lot longer

Depends on the style I guess. Hoppy beers will generally be better fresher, but others like stouts....... Well I've got 2 bottles of a chocolate coffee stout that are the last of an 18 month old batch. They're fabulous right now, but were average to say the least after one month.
I think it's pretty interesting to drink from fresh onwards.

Just about to bottle up
Hi much priming sugar per bottle
Is it half a teaspoon?

Ah, ok, I was going to advise to check the firmness of the bottles after a week if they were plastic to check how it was going.

Running out of bottles
What else could I use
Got 24 bottles but seems to be a lot left

Fv 23 ltrs

you need at least 40 x 500ml bottles for a 23L brew, keep the rest of the brew in the FV and get some cheap FIZZY water bottles from your nearest supermarket, empty and fill with the brew

Think they 750ml

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 156
Have got a 1800ml bottle
How much sugar do I put in
And how much in a 2ltr pop bottle

Finally finished my first batch.
Turned out better than I thought and a bit stronger than I thought

Am ready to start next batch but want to add the sugar before bottling
But how much would I add to 23 Ltrs of Geordie larger
No co2
And does it just take longer if it doesn’t hit the right temperature during fermentation?

Attachments

• 58D159D5-CD6F-4205-A910-1627813F9A05.jpeg
    58D159D5-CD6F-4205-A910-1627813F9A05.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 153
Finally finished my first batch.
Turned out better than I thought and a bit stronger than I thought

Am ready to start next batch but want to add the sugar before bottling
But how much would I add to 23 Ltrs of Geordie larger
No co2
And does it just take longer if it doesn’t hit the right temperature during fermentation?
Use this to calculate sugar priming rates
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/If you are using bottles a 23 litres of a lager would take 150g of table sugar for 2.5 vols
The more yeast in the bottle, the less priming sugar used, the higher the carbing temperature the quicker carbing will be done. And vice versa. Thats why it is suggested to new brewers they use 2 weeks which covers most scenarios although it might be done earlier.

I let my 1st batch sit for 4 weeks cos it wasn’t hitting temperature
Then bottled and left for 2 weeks

Thanks for tip 👍

Thats a nice clear looking brew you have there, well done!

I would say that if you’re going to buy more glass bottles in the future I would recommend getting the brown ones. Clear bottles display the beer lovely, but they let in daylight (UV) which will cause off-flavours over time. Best to keep those clear bottles in a dark place until you’re about to drink them.

Thanks for that

They are up the loft at the moment
Then I put a couple (6) in the fridge ready for the weekend

👍

Latest posts

Back