Chemsan/Starsan - how long is it good for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockley

Reaction score
Newbie, so apologies in advance!

I’m sure I read somewhere that when you make up starsan you can keep it and re-use it.
Is this correct and, if so, how long can it be kept for/how many times can it be re-used?

thanks

You need to keep it sealed because if not will draw moisture out of the air and so reduce the acidity.
Recommend getting some ph strips so you can check now and then . I make up a 2 litre batch and that holds its ph for months, I also have a small spray bottle that I top up from the 2l bottle and check ph before decanting.

You need to keep it sealed because if not will draw moisture out of the air and so reduce the acidity.
Recommend getting some ph strips so you can check now and then . I make up a 2 litre batch and that holds its ph for months, I also have a small spray bottle that I top up from the 2l bottle and check ph before decanting.

Thanks, I've got a spray bottle but wouldn't have thought to check that too, good tip thanks

Wot clint and DA says. I have some of those £1 for a million ph strips from ebay. I just constantly reuse my star san. Every so often I'll test it's ph. If it's above 3.5 I'll add maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon to the jerrycan full. This usually get's it back below 3.5. I've had my bottle of starsan for 5 years and there's still about 1/5th left

Wot clint and DA says. I have some of those £1 for a million ph strips from ebay. I just constantly reuse my star san. Every so often I'll test it's ph. If it's above 3.5 I'll add maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon to the jerrycan full. This usually get's it back below 3.5. I've had my bottle of starsan for 5 years and there's still about 1/5th left
Thanks, that's a Top Tip!

Latest posts

Back