Cherry / elderflower mead?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlienMarky

Reaction score
People keep giving me jars of honey as they know I like making mead, and I've got enough to do a new batch. I've been toying with the idea of doing a fruit one with cherries, but I've also got a bag of elderflower on the freezer left over from some wine. I'm in a bit of a quandary about which to do, so wondering if one is better than the other, or would it be overkill to do a dual flavour one?

Red fruit means have a great reputation, not heard of anyone doing an elderflower one but I guess it could work, if think of a dry traditional maybe?

I tried an elderflower mead last year (my first ever mead), and while it's quite nice, there's no real discernable elderflower flavour or aroma. I suspect that maybe I didn't use enough elderflowers. I googled around until I found a regular mead recipe (can't remember which now!) and then bunged a good few handfuls of elderflowers in!

Thanks! I've got enough flowers to do a gallon of wine so reckon it'd be enough perhaps, but wanted to check with more experienced bods. Or my other thought was to wait until I had enough honey to do 2 gallons, then do two different batches... Choices choices!

BTW, didn't realise you could freeze fresh elderflowers...how do you do that? Is it just a case of giving them a shake to remove bugs, put them in a freezer bag and then pop them in the freezer?

Yep, that's pretty much what I've done with them. I tend to trim down the stalks a bit too, but leave them attached. they come off the stems beautifully after they've been frozen, and I haven't noticed any real change in the flavour they impart, maybe a little bit less punchy but not that much.

Thanks for sharing that! I always want to do things with elderflowers, but run out of time! Next year, I'll freeze a whole load of them to give me more time to work on it all :)

Let me know how it goes! I only have a limited time to do wines etc., so I freeze a lot of things to give me more breathing space.

I’ve made a cherry mead and an elderflower mead. I guess I could mix them to tell you what cherry and elderflower is like! I used dried elderflower and get plenty of aroma from it

It's going to come down to personal taste in the end, but which did you, or people who tried them, prefer?

Elderflower. The cherry doesn’t have much other character, you wouldn’t know it is a mead really. Whereas the elderflower is more subtle and you can get some honey character.

Latest posts

Back