Cherry lowictz

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam

Regular.
Reaction score
I've done a couple of tc recipes and I always put pectolase and yeast nutrient in . Will this do any harm if I left those ingredients out

If you don't use nutrient and the yeast gets stressed it could lead to off flavours and a pectin haze if you don't also add pectolace.

The use of nutrient is not always favourable to the best out come for your wine.
Yes the yeast need nutrient to ensure the are healthy, they will store the nutrient and this enables them to build a strong membrane. A strong membrane will help the yeast develop a good alcohol tolerance and resistance to infection, this in turn should ensure your wine ferments to completion.
Too much nutrient and the yeast may bloom too much (the ferment goes off like a rocket) and this can mean that subtle flavours are lost "blown off" resulting in less depth and complexity to your wine.
So while nutrient is needed your may find there's already enough in your recipe without the need to add more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back