Chess - Carlsen - Nepo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Late on the Forum tonight as distracted by Carlsen's "signature" win from an objectively drawn position in an unbalanced, though fairly simplified position against his challenger, Jan Nepo.....tchi. May be enough to retain his title after only 6 of the scheduled 14 games. Feel exhausted just watching the last hour or so, what a performance from both players.

I tried to get into chess years ago when computer chess boards became popular but I never got the buzz, I do like watching the street chess players on YouTube.

Last edited:
Was meant to watch but missed all the games so far.
I have been playing obsessively on Lichess and Chess.com for the past year.
Thank you COVID

Was meant to watch but missed all the games so far.
I have been playing obsessively on Lichess and Chess.com for the past year.
Thank you COVID
Good for you, mate! Over 40 years now since I played an actual game. Maybe a retirement thing in s few years time :laugh8:

I like to play chess but have never considered it as a spectator sport. Maybe I should give it a go.

Whoops, Nepo gets into a slightly awkward position in game 8, a draw-ish looking Petrov and plays a move that 3,000 + rated engines did not like much (Slid knew little of this!). So now, after Carlsen's machine like positional play, he is two down with 6 to play. Very tough on the young man, who may now lose the match before those of us in the Western World can even spell his surname.

I play a lot of 10 min games on Chess.com - sadly my rating (860) is not worth crowing about, but it doesn't stop me playing. At my height I was a 1300 player.

I play a lot of 10 min games on Chess.com - sadly my rating (860) is not worth crowing about, but it doesn't stop me playing. At my height I was a 1300 player.
My game has improved steadily the last few months.
I'm playing the 'London System' as white and it works for me. This video explains it quite well.

As black, I play the Czech Pirc. This video gives a nice overview.

Try playing the same opening and you'll eventually understand the lines through experience.

Also Lichess is a great alternative to Chess.com. All it's analysis tools are free.

I tried to get into chess years ago when computer chess boards became popular but I never got the buzz, I do like watching the street chess players on YouTube.

I always have a chess game on whatever computer I' have. My first dragon32s Cyrus chess used to whip my derriere pretty much all of the time. I did get to the point though where it took me longer to lose. :rolleyes:

Whoops, Nepo self-destructed in game 9, blundering a Bishop in a manner that recalls that of "the Great Bobby" in Game 2 of the 1972 match against Spassky. So that is the end of the match, Carlsen 3 up with only 5 games to play and Nepo has no realistic chance of victory.

I am now set up on chess.com.

Chess.com is great, however you have to pay to access a lot of the extras (more than one game analysis a day, 4 puzzles).
Lichess give all those extras for free.
Play a game, win or lose, use the chess engine to analysis your game to see what mistakes/blunders you made.

Chess.com is great, however you have to pay to access a lot of the extras (more than one game analysis a day, 4 puzzles).
Lichess give all those extras for free.
Play a game, win or lose, use the chess engine to analysis your game to see what mistakes/blunders you made.
I will take a look at lichess - thanks for the info

I will take a look at lichess - thanks for the info
No problem.
You can also download finished games on Chess.com, then upload to Lichess to analysis them.
Also a great study section where you can learn openings/strategy.

Latest posts

Back