Chestnut Homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren1973

Reaction score
Hi everyone, next Saturday im planning on brewing a Chestnut Dark Brew this involves a load of chestnuts boiled in the strike water, then dried in the oven, shelled and put in a blender then added to the grain to mash, has anyone done anything like this before? And how did it turn out?

Got loads of chestnuts and they are a real faff to peel. i did think of adding some to a beer and decided that If I did, I get canned chestnuts or chestnut purée. But good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

Birradamare do a chestnut beer called Kasta - Beers of Europe have sold it in the past, Ocado and Booths sometimes have some of their other beers.

Don't know much about it but it's not bad. Untappd says its 5.8% and 20IBU and that they "add kiln-dried chestnuts to the wort".

Does boiling the chestnuts in the strike water really add anything? Probably less satisfying, but I would just buy tinned chestnuts for this. As observed above, peeling chestnuts is a right pain! You should be able to find tinned chestnuts in the supermarket at this time of year. I've seen them in B&M before.

Latest posts

Back