Chicken tikka

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milesey

Reaction score
You.know the tikka ya get from takeaways or kebab shops that's got a red colour on it

How do I replicate it in my own kitchen

I've marinaded chicken in a tikka mix but you don't get the red colour on the meat

Is there something in particular I can buy from Asian supermarket and if anyone's for a good recipe , please share

Many thanks

Tandoori powder or paste is redder than Tikka and used to have some sort of red dye in it. Used to colour your hands. Nowadays that dye has been removed. You will still get the taste though.

You.know the tikka ya get from takeaways or kebab shops that's got a red colour on it

How do I replicate it in my own kitchen

I've marinaded chicken in a tikka mix but you don't get the red colour on the meat

Is there something in particular I can buy from Asian supermarket and if anyone's for a good recipe , please share

Many thanks
Yeah, having read thr curry guy bible recently, its all just food colouring. When you get tandoori stuff, tikka, pakora or that and its all bright red, its just food colouring to make it red.

🤬 here's.me thinking it was some special ingredient !

Every time I've marinaded tikka it's always very wet with the marinade , in takeaways it's always without almost a sauce , call it dry but juicy 🤔

I agree a dry rub will colour the meat better. To get a redder colour add some paprika, sweet or smoked will work.

As said... food colouring. Look for the TRS brand. In the Indian the meat goes through various stages...first lemon juice,then ginger garlic paste,then dry spice then yogurt. I have some done like this in the fridge. It's marinaded for two days and will go on the BBQ later.

As said... food colouring. Look for the TRS brand. In the Indian the meat goes through various stages...first lemon juice,then ginger garlic paste,then dry spice then yogurt. I have some done like this in the fridge. It's marinaded for two days and will go on the BBQ later.

That sounds the bees bollox that does mate 😁

Is the weather warm enough for a BBQ on the Denbighshire Riviera?

IMG_20210502_184534.jpg

And we're off!

Tandoori powder or paste is redder than Tikka and used to have some sort of red dye in it. Used to colour your hands. Nowadays that dye has been removed. You will still get the taste though.

It seems some are called
"tikka masala" and others
"tandoori tikka masala".
The latter being red as opposed to the former being brown/orange.
Although a quick Google throws up this.

"Tandoori and Tikka are almost the exact same with one exception, Tikka generally refers to boneless marinated Chicken while Tandoori has the bone in and can be any part of the Chicken. Once you change the meat or make it with Vegetables they are the same, marinated in yoghurt and spices and cooked in a Tandoor Oven."

Never had it on the bone though.
Whatever it is, I always prefer the taste of bright red ones :D

I did a I think it was sharwoods or pataks , a slow cooker curry ,

It was bloody **** , don't bother if you see one in supermarket

Watery , chicken come out all stringy , very very dissapointing

I tend to either use lots of kashmiri chilli powder for a red one - not the almost flourescent red you get with clouring, a bit more subtle - or turmeric for a yellow version.

Latest posts

Back