Children in Pubs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree. even as a parent i cant stand roudy children ruining the atmosphere.

I only on occasion attend pubs with my son, and even then it's usually only for lunch.

Thing is, it's a catch 22 for parents. when you see people with unruly children you despise the parents for not controlling them, yet when mine's played up and i've given him a stern word to get him in order, everyone's eyes glare at me as if to say i'm wrong for doing it :roll: cant win

I agree that children have no place in a pub unless it's just for lunch, i've seen some parents (not many) who go on a session and leave the kids running around the place all day, it's neglect.

:hmm: :hmm:
Kids in pubs, the highly charged debate....
On the one hand there is the Saturday afternoon in a Wetherspoons that makes you consider that enforced sterilisation MAY be a solution for certain members of society(then again a 30 second viewing of Trisha/Jeremy Kyle has the same effect).

And yet being introduced into the adult world surronded by adults is important to a child. But the notion of childhood has changed exponentially in the last 20 years, in the UK. And in truth it is not compatable with the pub. But then again, kids did'nt used to be welcome in pubs and the sitting in the car/pub garden with a coke and a pack of crisps was a norm, whilst your folks had a couple of shandies(yeah right). And then at the age of 13/14 you where allowed in and may be introduced to a beer/shandy, but if you did not behave yourself then out you go.....

Now hmmm, but the whole kids debate is sooooooo out of shape in UK so I will leave well allone. But many a day in a pub has been ruined by badly behaved kids, NOT being reigned in by their parents.

All I can say is I see kids in restaurants and bars all the time here in Galicia, and it is great 90% of the time(the other 10% when Brits/americans have kids in tow). And it is all part of societies great balance here, and yet in Blighty it is rarely so :evil:

i agree :)

i may only be a "whipper snapper" myself at the age of 26, but when i went into pubs as a sub 14/15 year old, if i misbehaved i certainly knew about it cos the punters themselves were brave enough to sort me out (which my mother welcomed). these days if another person tells a kid to behave the parents have a go at the other adult!!! :shock: i've seen parents fist fighting in beer gardens because of it!!! "dont you tell my child what he can and cant do, you've no right" and all that.

pfffft i'll never forget the day i was this close *hold fingers about a millimeter apart* to getting my pants yanked down and being struck with the thin end of a two part pool cue! i never miss behaved in that pub again.... but with the good behaviour form it, six months later i got awarded my first full pint of beer! :D

see i reckon that's the answer... change the (rather stupid) law that permits children to drink wine and cider (WTF? that's stronger than beer anyways) with a meal.... let them have two pints of bitter/ale (without a meal) and they'll calm down :lol:

A T said:
I agree that children have no place in a pub unless it's just for lunch, i've seen some parents (not many) who go on a session and leave the kids running around the place all day, it's neglect.

Every holiday i have in England it happens again. Me, the wife an my 14 year old son, are doing a long walk.
Halfway we come across a pub and decide to have a quick drink. Only to be refused because of some no-kid policy.
???? So you think this is normal ????

Piet.

if he's 14 technically he's allowed to drink a glass of wine or cider with a meal.... so if they did food, that's just plain prejudice :evil:

there's a couple of pubs i've been to now that have a "One bought, and you're out" policy for parents... meaning if there's one bought of missbehaviour, the whole family is turfed out... a good system, and they dont let the families order a tab so they cant rack up a bill and get thrown out ;)

i think that's a good system

Personally i think that if you have to start making such kind of rules, something must have gone bad in the past.
I mean 'Pub' is short for Public House - and in my view people don't normally go to public places to behave badly. (Well i don't). If people however do behave badly in public places, society should not allow them to repeat this behaviour.

my take on this debate is simple if there is misbehaving them the pub should ask the offender to leave regardless of their age. Also lets seperate rooms those with no kids who want an adult focused drinking experience and families who want to visit for a drink with a meal. The witherspoon approach of two drinks and you leave if you have kids seems fair as well.Personally you would only find me in a pub with my kids when my parents visit and they want to go out for a meal.I much prefer bbq s and weddings these are the best places for kids and drinking adults to be :cheers:

Latest posts

Back