Chill cube?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy90

Reaction score
Hi guy's, I've just got myself a grainfather 40l modified sparge water heater to attempt some biab brews. I'm going to try no chilling to begin with in a 'cube'. Now, I've seen various videos where people chill by submerging there 'vessel' in a ice bath etc if they haven't a chiller. Obviously this can't be done with a electric water heater so my question is this. Once the wort is transferred to the cube, has anyone then tried chilling that cube? Ie submerge the cube in a ice bath etc? I'm a total beginner here so would love to hear your thoughts. Brilliant forum btw, many thanks, Jimmy 🍻

I have two no chill Jerry cans that so far are unused...I get them free so no worries...if I was using them I'd fill them up,put the lid on and leave them til tomorrow..

Hi Jimmy and welcome to the forum.

I thought the point of using a cube was to allow it to cool naturally, overnight. If you are planning to chill the wort in a water / ice bath, could you not transfer into the fv, sitting in a sink / trug of cold water.

A better bet, especially in the longer term is buy a reel of 8mm microbore copper pipe and a few fittings and make an immersion chiller.

Hi Mmmbeer, thank you for your reply. Yes I am planning on no chilling to begin with. It just crossed my mind if it was possible to chill the cube, if I wanted to chill. I've read that people ferment in cubes also so that's kinda where the idea came from. I have just bought the modified water heater kit from malt miller which included what looks like a decent biab bag, and a couple of good quality taps. Any info on other vital items i need would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Jimmy.

If you chill the cube while the wort is hot and with the lid sealed it will cause the cube to suck itself in I believe. Or expand. Something to do with chemistry and gasses and all that palava. I no chill in my FV and had no problems so far. Just transfer into it and leave overnight with the lid sealed.

Managed to find that on the Malt Miller's site, it looks a decent setup. The fact that the 40 l package doesn't include an Inkbird temperature controller like the smaller one does suggests that it has decent temperature control built in. A decent thermometer would still be useful.

You have the option of mashing the grain in the full pre-boil volume of water, which is slightly less efficient, or dunk sparging the grain bag post mash to wash out some additional sugars.

Otherwise as long as you have the basic bits needed for kit brewing, you should be good to go.

Thanks for all your comments guy's it's helped me out. Just need to source a fv and choose what I'll brew first!! I have a load of grolsh style flip top bottles ready to go! I've heard no chilling isn't great for hop forward styles so maybe a English ale type of beer to begin? Would you recommend going with a pre made kit first? Questions questions questions haha. Cheers 🍻🍻

Latest posts

Back