Chill Haze

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think quicker chilling and a cold crash down to 0°C will make the most significant difference.

If you choose to investigate clarityferm them consider the generic version that the Malt Miller sells. It's a fraction of the price but as it is highly concentrated it requires a syringe (supplied with it) to measure out.

Thanks for all the advice folks.......I've got some protofloc tablets for my next brew and am looking at immersion coolers.

Rod

Thanks for all the advice folks.......I've got some protofloc tablets for my next brew and am looking at immersion coolers.

Rod

Have a look on eBay, you can get a pretty good immersion chiller for around the £40 mark on there, where the online retailers you're looking at a higher price.

Immersion chillers are also pretty easy to knock up from a 10m length of 8mm microbore copper pipe. You just need something cylindrical to shape them bend them around.

CFC's aren't a free lunch. Unless you're lucky enough to have a Blichmann Therminator then they're hard to clean, and hard to know you've cleaned them because you can't see inside. Then there's the flow rate. Not a problem for ale brewers but if you're brewing with pilsner then you want the full volume down below the SMM to DMS conversion temperature of 70C as fast as possible. Then you want to be stirring continually as you transition down to the DMS boiling point of 37C so that any DMS still in the wort gets to meet the surface and boil off. Immersion chillers are better suited to doing that.

i like the look of the therminator, how simple is it to set up?

Made an immersion chiller.
10m of 8mm microbore copper from Wickes £16.99......couple of lengths of garden hose and some fittings I had lying around and boom!
20180222_153416.jpg
Cooled 23 litres from just off the boil to pitching temp in 10mins.
........well pleased.

Latest posts

Back