Chilled too early - doh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissyr63

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
just did a big error - I have 2 brew fridges and only have access to them at the weekends (it is a holiday cottage).

So I had 2 beers going - one was a week in and had went to 1.010 where I wanted it the other 2 weeks in and again got to the level I wanted (1.012).

What I meant to do last Sunday was chill the 2 week old one to 2-3c ready to keg tomorrow but what I did was changed the temp controller of the 1 week one to 2-3c.

Now the 3 weeks beer is fine and I can chill that down over this weekend but the first beer I am not sure about. I like to leave my beers 2 weeks at least but this was only 6 days then chilled. I think my options are:

just keg it (into a cornie) and hope the almost 2 weeks at room temp sorts it all out (usually purge the cornie with CO2 first and leave it for 2 weeks).

Or let it warm up again and keep it at 19c for another week and hope it kicks off again properly. Then chill, keg and force carb it - I wanted it ready for the 20th of this month for my grandsons 1st birthday.

What would you do?

thanks,

C

I would check the SG and factor in the fact that it is cold and the hydrometer will be reading "high".

If the adjusted SG is anywhere near what you want I would keg it without priming sugar and let the temperature rise. If there is any residual fermentation still to come then it will pressurise naturally and if it is already fermented you can force carb it with CO2.

If the adjusted SG is at or above 1.015 I would let the temperature come back up in the FV because it apparently still has quite a bit of fermentation to go.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

PS

I'm all for starting kids young but I think one year old is a bit early!

Chilling it of course will crash the yeast out of suspension. So what I'd do is rouse the yeast to get it back into suspension and warm it back to 19C for a week

Latest posts

Back