Chillies?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out to the greenhouse earlier and picked 9 ripe lemon drop / aji limon and a friars hat. Was really surprised given the sub zero temps we've had. Still quite a few to come so fingers crossed. Maybe they will overwinter. ....

Curry tonight, and I'm pining for a hot one.. no I mean a proper hot one, not faffing about around the edges. So these are going in - all of them.

20170722_094304.jpg

Yikes - that’s going to be a hot momma. Get the Japanese flag ready !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it Mrs gunge isn't dragging you round asda tomorrow. .....
What's the recipe for this please?

Nah, she did all the shopping yesterday.

For 3 people:

2 large onions, finely chopped
600g chicken breast, cubed
400g tin chopped tomatoes.
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 inch piece ginger, minced

Spice blend:

2tsp vindaloo mix
4tsp paprika
1tsp fenugreek powder
1/2 tsp cumin
seeds from 6 cardamoms
2tsp garam masala
1tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fennel
1/2 tsp salt

Fry onions until golden.
Add garlic and ginger, fry 2 minutes.
Add spice blend and chicken, frying until coated.
Add tomatoes and 1/2 tin of water.
Simmer 25 minutes.
Add 1/4 cup rehydrated methi leaves, 1tsp garam masala and a bunch of freshly chopped coriander immediately before serving.

Chillies... I make this for the missus and kid so add 6 or 7 Birds Eye at the same time as the spice blend. For mine I remove a third of the curry to a balti dish which contains the waiting super-hots which have been rehydrated in a little water.

All pretty simple but it's great and any changes in the recipe do not go down well with the family - I know it off by heart now!

Looks hot. No rehydrating round my way, straight off the plant they come but no Reapers this year, just these Scorpions. I can't believe this plant has come good so late in the year.

uc

@nigelnorris... I had a Scotch Bonnet plant a few years ago which I'd given up on. I planned to over-winter it but it delivered at about this time of year. Gonna try growing again in the new year. Meanwhile, I've had the Reaper curry. An ordeal for sure but I did defeat it, with lots of gurning and theatrics as befitting such a volcanic dish! My hair is still tingling.

@nigelnorris... I had a Scotch Bonnet plant a few years ago which I'd given up on. I planned to over-winter it but it delivered at about this time of year. Gonna try growing again in the new year.

I think I've still got seeds left in a cupboard somewhere, reapers, scorpions, 7-pot morugas, if you want to have a go using seeds known to be good drop me a PM and I'll send a few across.

So, having moving house last year I finally have space, and a garden! This means two things: hops and chillis. Never grown anything before. They'll probably all die, but hey, no harm in trying. I've got me a cheap plastic greenhouses to move things into later, once the four-tier mini-greenhouse thingy next to the south-facing window gets too small. Some chilli plants have germinated already, Carolina Reaper, Jalapeno, Cherry Bomb and Padron. I've also got some Lemon Drop and Peruvian Aji in the propagator. They are looking a bit leggy, so I've ordered some grow lights and a fan, then I'll bury the stem when potting on and hopefully they'll survive. Also trying some tomatos, and I'll get a patch in the garden sorted for some other stuff in a couple of months.

What are other people growing this year?

Lots...I have a 20x12 poly tunnel awaiting assembly. ..probably spuds,already got onions,carrots,peas,beans,sprouts, cabbage,beetroot, cauliflower, pumpkin, corn,tomatoes, chillies,cucumber, aubergines,melons,okra,salad stuff...

Mine are doing quite well - planted just after Christmas in a heated propagator, even gave them a treat last week with a few hours in the greenhouse. Don't think this will be happening this week!

Cayenne, Jalapeno, Lemon Drop, Cheyenne, Habanero, Padron, Cherry Bomb, Apache F1 plus a few mystery varieties from seeds people gave me. A few peppers in there too: Antohi and Sweet Banana.

IMG_5024.JPG

I received this as a Christmas gift, nothing happened for a couple of weeks after planting, then as a last resort, I put it in my warm brew fridge, opened the door a week later to find this. It has since had a week in the kitchen windowsill.
Hopefully I will get some nice chillies to make a ringstinger curry.
P_20180223_172903.jpg

Here's my babies sitting happily under standard daylight tube
20180223_182326.jpg
! Growing Rocoto Tropical Orange, Spike, Aji Hot, Submarine and Hungarian Hot Wax from seed, plus hoping that Lemon Drop and Tinkerbell have / will overwinter ok.

I have tried overwintering chili the only one I have had success with is the white habanero, I have overwintered tomatoes and capsicum but they never produce a good crop the second year.

I have tried overwintering chili the only one I have had success with is the white habanero, I have overwintered tomatoes and capsicum but they never produce a good crop the second year.
Capsicum baccatum (the 2 I mentioned above are in this family) overwinter well. Generally you get an earlier and better crop. In their natural state capsicum are a perennial shrub.

Not here they don't , the new plants will produce far better and more bountiful.
They really will bud! You did well to get a capsicum chinense (habanero / naga / Scotch bonnet etc) to overwinter well though as they can be a bit temperamental. I know of people who have overwintered the same plants for 5 seasons plus, and those guys always get the earliest pods and biggest harvests. Have it your way if you want though......

Good idea RE the brew fridge.

Put my seeds that are yet to germinate in and will see what happens

Back