Chillies?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pazza

Reaction score
Anyone into their chillies? Never used to be but some ghost/ Naga challenges have converted me. Currently growing some scotch bonnet but want to do some Naga jolokia or Carolina Reaper next year so where do people get the plants?
Also ordered a taster pack of Carolina Reaper nuts, Bombay mix and pork scratchings to accompany my Cwtch at the weekend so has anyone tried them?

Last year I had lots of plants Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Scorpions, and Moruga 7-Pots, all grown in pots from seeds bought on Amazon. Grew half in my conservatory [which gets up to 50C on a hot day] and half in a sunny spot outdoors. The conservatory plants kicked ass, two or three times as big a crop as the outdoor ones, and bigger fruits. I started all of them off in early spring though, it's too late to do that now because they take forever to ripen.

Tried to overwinter the strongest looking half dozen but all but one died. Luckily I still have a fair few pods in the freezer - I make chili sauce out of them - and the plant that's survived is looking like it's going to be a corker now that it has two years' worth of roots on it.

I love volcanic/nuclear/industrial strength/weapons grade curries and get a lot of stuff from spicesontheweb.co.uk. Huge range and great quality and they have an extensive seed selection. I've grown a lot of the hotties with varying success but yet to attempt (to eat or grow!) the Carolina Reaper. Soon! Hottest I've grown was the Komodo Dragon which was for a while at least,the second hottest tho' I doubt mine was anywhere near professionally grown ones.

I love hot food but can't do the real badass chillies.

I pretty much have an entire drawer full of chillies that are uber hot. I need some good sauce recipes.

I've done chilli jam quite successfully, but never made a good sauce.

I am fond of a hot sauce...

11659218_10153461918083970_1870230913371491943_n.jpg

I have two Naga Jolokia in the greenhouse as well as two Jalapeno I started in Jan. All thinking about flowering but a bit slow so far. One of each are in pots to over winter.

Any good recipe for using Naga? The local curry house makes a good Naga chicken

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I love the hot stuff! I grew loads of scotch bonnet,jolokia,reapers and jalapeños last year and have quite a lot in the freezer. They really are stupid hot...so bad the next day is ruined as you cannot stray too far from the lavatory! I found "torture " gets the hottest chillies...don't over water...let the buggers suffer a bit and high humidity to encourage the fruits to set.

One of my other hobbies is growing chillies. I'm a member of the 'Chillies Galore' forum, although I don't post much these days. Very friendly and helpful bunch. There is a seedbank that a member very generously allows regular posters to access. There's sauce recipes on there too.

I've just sent off for 10 dried Carolina Reaper chillis and I'm going to shove the LOT into the weekend's family vinda. Does anyone think this might not be a good idea?

These days I tend to get plants at the garden centre. Managed to pick up a Chocolate Habanero and a Carolina Reaper recently. When I had a greenhouse and a conservatory I grew from seed and had about 40 plants on the go at any one time. I tended to pick up seeds either online (various places) or at chilli festivals, where you can also pick up interesting plants too.

Scotch Bonnets can be picked up at garden centres rather easily, I often see Nagas and Trinidad Scorpions too. I am particularly fond of the yellow varieties, fatali, yellow 7 pod for example. I can also strongly recommend making mince pies with yellow rocoto chillies :grin:

Got my first of an unknown to me chilli (Fatali) the other day.

Was not expecting that heat. Thats for sure. Lol

Fatal for sure.

Its the hottest Im growing I think. Also growing Indian Jwala, Takanotsume, Poblano and Hot Lemons.

First year and the greenhouse is going well :)

Defo doing some Naga's next year.

I used to grow superhots, but found I rarely used them other than to make sauce. Fatalli is about 250,000 scoville units, so is hot but not silly. It is a beautiful chilli, fantastic flavour and aroma.

I'm only growing a few plants this year, jalapeño, 2 types of scotch bonnets, 2 types of thai chillies and a lemon drop. Been putting more effort into making beer this year:lol:

Someone who knows that I like both chillies and beer suggested making a spicy beer. Yeurgh!

I used to grow superhots, but found I rarely used them other than to make sauce. Fatalli is about 250,000 scoville units, so is hot but not silly. It is a beautiful chilli, fantastic flavour and aroma.

I'm only growing a few plants this year, jalapeño, 2 types of scotch bonnets, 2 types of thai chillies and a lemon drop. Been putting more effort into making beer this year:lol:

Someone who knows that I like both chillies and beer suggested making a spicy beer. Yeurgh!

Oh yeah, I didn't mean it was silly hot - Its the fact that the heat hits you immediately, and doesn't creep up on you like some some of the silly hot ones.

My salad that I had chopped a whole one up and put it in, was hotter than my hot sauce. :mrgreen:

I picked up a grafted 'medina F1' plant from the garden center in spring on a whim. Never had a grafted plant before and true to the description it's fruited like mad. There must be a dozen large chillis on it already. Can't wait for them to ripen. The wife picked up some grafted tomato plants and they also went nuts. It's like a rainforest in our greenhouse. When we go out to water stuff there's frogs jumping all over the place!

Heres a picture of last years chilli forest in the greenhouse:
N0UT0gxl.jpg

--
Hottest last year was the Dorset Naga, which was mostly made into power .. stupidly hot powder - this year I decided that I wouldnt grow any of the superhots .. ended up planting Dorset Naga (again) White Ghost Pepper, Carolina Reaper & a couple of other "normal" types - I tend to use the Lemon Drop the most for cooking, its about right for me for most things.

Haven't done nay this year my greenhouse got destroyed in a storm but last year I had it full of trinidad scorpion, bhut jolokia, naga, loads of jalapeno, serrano passilla, ancho and then in the garden Mexican green tomatoes (tomatillos). The tomatillos and jalepeno and serrano make traditional Mexican salsa verde, the nacho/passilla are for other mexican sauces and the hot 3 varieties were for a range of hot sauces. Without a greenhouse I wouldn't even bother the crop will be too small to make the effort worth it. If you like the Mexican green salsa then I'd well recommend either buying some canned tomatillos http://amzn.to/2uaLdY7 or growing your own these are the seeds http://amzn.to/2uLcKm9 they crop really well and seem impervious to slugs with 3 plants you'd have enough for a years supply of salsa.

I made the usual strength curry for me, the missus and the kid last night. It's fairly hot, bearing in mind the 14-year old can take it after developing tolerance for a few years😣. But I removed a third of it to a separate pan, to which I added a finely chopped California Reaper. This was mine. It was a real test of endurance and fortitude to get it down. Even my teeth were sweating, my mouth feeling like there was a swarm of angry stinging bees in there. Molten iron flowed thru my veins and everything became blurred and dreamlike. I ran to the kitchen for milk - a measure never before resorted to. I gave in about 3/4 of the way in, the pain was reaching intolerable levels. Today I am unwell. My insides are churning and cramping and I feel things could get messy later. Honestly? Can't wait for the next one!

I made the usual strength curry for me, the missus and the kid last night. It's fairly hot, bearing in mind the 14-year old can take it after developing tolerance for a few years�����£. But I removed a third of it to a separate pan, to which I added a finely chopped California Reaper. This was mine. It was a real test of endurance and fortitude to get it down. Even my teeth were sweating, my mouth feeling like there was a swarm of angry stinging bees in there. Molten iron flowed thru my veins and everything became blurred and dreamlike. I ran to the kitchen for milk - a measure never before resorted to. I gave in about 3/4 of the way in, the pain was reaching intolerable levels. Today I am unwell. My insides are churning and cramping and I feel things could get messy later. Honestly? Can't wait for the next one!

That reminds me of a curry I once had from a restaurant in Newcastle. They serve it in bowls made from shuttle re-entry tiles and it comes with a side order of savlon. I was sweating like a lawn sprinkler and the mercury from my fillings was dribbling down my chin as I ate it.:oops:

The following morning, things got messy I can tell you.

Back