Chilling wort before the boil

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by Sambill, Dec 6, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 6, 2019 #1

Sambill

Sambill

Sambill

I'm hoping to make a series of Smash beers, a gallon of each.
    As I only have a couple of pans for the boil, I'm thinking about making a 5-6 gallon base malt in a single mash, chilling this quickly to stop enzyme activity, and then boiling gallon batches over a couple of days.

Are there potentially any detrimental effects this would have on the beer? Providing that the chilling process is sterile I would guess that the chance of infection would be low.

My main concern would be DMS, would chilling the wort preboil somehow 'set' the DMS in a way that produces off flavours?

Has anyone tried this?

All comments appreciated!

2. Dec 7, 2019 #2

fury_tea

fury_tea

fury_tea

I don't know about the DMS question, never heard of it setting in a brew, maybe someone else can help with that, but I wouldn't worry about it too much myself. The thing I would be concerned about is that your mashed wort probably wouldn't have got to the temperatures needed to kill off all bacteria, which could become a problem over a few days. Maybe bringing the wort to a boil for 10-15 minutes before you chill it could be an option? That way you could sterilise everything (and your immersion chiller) then chill it and be sure there's minimal risk of nasties?
    As long as you keep the chilled wort at a low enough temperature to guard against any wild yeast or bacteria taking up residence I can't see a problem though. Boiling for that 15 minutes more may increase your final ABV if you don't take it into account though.

Sambill likes this.
  3. Dec 7, 2019 #3

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Landlord.

Mash temperature just happens to be the same as pasteurising temperature so as long as your post-mash regime is hygeinic you should be ok.

4. Dec 7, 2019 #4

dan125

dan125

dan125

BIAB brewer

Maybe a good 10 min mash out at 75-80C would help ensure its pasteurised and stop the enzymes.
    Not sure about the DMS though

fury_tea likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2019 #5

Nicks90

Nicks90

Nicks90

Landlord.

DMS is formed during kilning in pilsner malts and when the wort is brought to 80c according to milkthefunk.
    So as long as you use something like MO and don't hit 80c, then you should avoid DMS issues without having to boil.

6. Dec 8, 2019 #6

Sambill

Sambill

Sambill

Thanks for these replies. It doesnt sound like there is anything too concerning with this approach. It looks like either:
    a. mash out and chill with a coil thats been boiled in water
    b. boil the wort and coil for 10-15 minutes then chill

I think i'd be tempted to go with b as i could transfer a portion to the 2 pans i have for the first 2 SMASH beers. Looking forward to this, any more info welcome, i'll let you know - hopefully get a brew day done in the week.

Edit: MilkTheFunk Wiki looks like a whole new world!

Draft saved Draft deleted