Quantcast

Choc Coffee Oat stout FG 1.020? Is this OK?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

OliH

Reaction score
Hi,

I would be very greatful of any input and thoughts! I've tried to make porters before and they have come out ok. I thought I'd try something different with the left over chocolate malt, brown malt and dark crystal.

So I made a 10l brew and as 10 min addition I added 100g of coco and 8 shots of espresso. There is also 500g of malted oats and 200g Molasses.

I used Wilko gervin yeast and the OG was 1.063, aiming for nearly 6.7%. Brewfather expected the FG to be 1.012, but after a week it had only reached 1.020. I increased the temperature by couple of degrees, to 21C and left it for another week. When I checked today it was still 1.020. It tastes OK and has the kind of slightly thick smooth mouthfeel I was after.

So my questions are:
1. Is it a stuck Ferment?
2. Is this a result of mashing slightly higher than I normally do?
3. Main thing, is it OK to bottle, or do I have to get the gravity down?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oli

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,

I would be very greatful of any input and thoughts! I've tried to make porters before and they have come out ok. I thought I'd try something different with the left over chocolate malt, brown malt and dark crystal.

So I made a 10l brew and as 10 min addition I added 100g of coco and 8 shots of espresso. There is also 500g of malted oats and 200g Molasses.

I used Wilko gervin yeast and the OG was 1.063, aiming for nearly 6.7%. Brewfather expected the FG to be 1.012, but after a week it had only reached 1.020. I increased the temperature by couple of degrees, to 21C and left it for another week. When I checked today it was still 1.020. It tastes OK and has the kind of slightly thick smooth mouthfeel I was after.

So my questions are:
1. Is it a stuck Ferment?
2. Is this a result of mashing slightly higher than I normally do?
3. Main thing, is it OK to bottle, or do I have to get the gravity down?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oli
I would put my money on your mash temperature, next time mash low 64C for 60 mins and 68C for 30 mins. If it isn't moving from 1,020 then bottle.

chrisb8

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have made 2 chocolate stouts that have both finished at 1.025. The first one I roused, increased the temperature and gave it an extra week and nothing changed. Didn't bother the second time. Bottled, conditioned and drank with no problems. The recipe has a reasonably high lactose addition and high mash temperature so I think this accounts for it.