Choc Coffee Oat stout FG 1.020? Is this OK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliH

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would be very greatful of any input and thoughts! I've tried to make porters before and they have come out ok. I thought I'd try something different with the left over chocolate malt, brown malt and dark crystal.

So I made a 10l brew and as 10 min addition I added 100g of coco and 8 shots of espresso. There is also 500g of malted oats and 200g Molasses.

I used Wilko gervin yeast and the OG was 1.063, aiming for nearly 6.7%. Brewfather expected the FG to be 1.012, but after a week it had only reached 1.020. I increased the temperature by couple of degrees, to 21C and left it for another week. When I checked today it was still 1.020. It tastes OK and has the kind of slightly thick smooth mouthfeel I was after.

So my questions are:
1. Is it a stuck Ferment?
2. Is this a result of mashing slightly higher than I normally do?
3. Main thing, is it OK to bottle, or do I have to get the gravity down?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oli

Hi,

I would be very greatful of any input and thoughts! I've tried to make porters before and they have come out ok. I thought I'd try something different with the left over chocolate malt, brown malt and dark crystal.

So I made a 10l brew and as 10 min addition I added 100g of coco and 8 shots of espresso. There is also 500g of malted oats and 200g Molasses.

I used Wilko gervin yeast and the OG was 1.063, aiming for nearly 6.7%. Brewfather expected the FG to be 1.012, but after a week it had only reached 1.020. I increased the temperature by couple of degrees, to 21C and left it for another week. When I checked today it was still 1.020. It tastes OK and has the kind of slightly thick smooth mouthfeel I was after.

So my questions are:
1. Is it a stuck Ferment?
2. Is this a result of mashing slightly higher than I normally do?
3. Main thing, is it OK to bottle, or do I have to get the gravity down?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Oli
I would put my money on your mash temperature, next time mash low 64C for 60 mins and 68C for 30 mins. If it isn't moving from 1,020 then bottle.

I have made 2 chocolate stouts that have both finished at 1.025. The first one I roused, increased the temperature and gave it an extra week and nothing changed. Didn't bother the second time. Bottled, conditioned and drank with no problems. The recipe has a reasonably high lactose addition and high mash temperature so I think this accounts for it.

Latest posts

Back