Choc malt vs. Choc rye malt for Porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the differences/similarities between chocolate malt and chocolate rye malt?

(I've used chocolate malt of course, but never rye malt, let alone chocolate rye malt)

A year or so ago I brewed GH's Brown Porter - still one of my best brews to date IMO, and having finished the last bottle yesterday I decided I ought to make some more soon.

Now I could simply rebrew the same recipe, which uses chocolate malt, or.....

I'm a big fan of Josh Weikart's "Make your best..." series on beerandbrewing.com - for his English Porter recipe he suggests something very similar overall to GH but opts for chocolate rye malt instead.

(He also optionally suggests a touch of smoked malt too - I'm sure I've read on here that GH's smoked porter is very good so that's also tempting).

The only thing I've found from googling is a suggestion that chocolate rye malt is more chocolatey than regular chocolate malt.

Cheers,

Matt athumb..

I would go chocolate rye. I like chocolate malt but I sometimes get a cola note from it that I dislike which I don't get from chocolate rye.

A few years ago I brewed a rye porter with rye and chocolate rye malts that turned out pretty good.
I also added a bit of caraway to steep after the boil.

I would go chocolate rye. I like chocolate malt but I sometimes get a cola note from it that I dislike which I don't get from chocolate rye.
That's interesting...

I sometimes get a metallic taste from darker beers (I think there was a thread recently about this)...

But now you mention it, cola could be another way to describe it - wonder if it's the same thing...

I use rye malt pretty often love the taste like the german rye bread and a drier finish in the mouth. Used it last time with 3kg of red x malt and 1kg of rye infact had a pint last night

Rye has a distinctive flavour and chocolate rye refers to the kilning colour rather than a chocolaty taste, unlike chocolate Barley malt. I'd be inclined to make a small batch on case you don't like it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back