Chocolate in beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trunky

Reaction score
I am interested in making a chocolate stout,a bit like the youngs double chocolate stout. Now, with their version they use a combination of chocolate malt and "chocolate flavour". I am not yet in a situation to do an AG brew, but is there anyhting I can do to tweak a kit to get a hint of chocolate?

My first ideas were to use pure http://www.venezuelanblack.com/ cacao but I am a bit uncertain how much of this pungent stuff to use.

Anybody else had a try?

I think there is a recipe/brewday for choc/treacle stout about the place somewhere.....

I have just made up an Edme Irish stout kit to 4 gallons and added 40g of pure cocoa. This ones going to be the first brew that I am going to put into a corny, heres hoping. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Beer . . . Chocolate . . . . Beer . . . . Chocolate . . . . Beer . . . . Chocolate . . . . Beer . . . . Chocolate . . . . Beer . . . . Chocolate . . . . Beer . . . . Chocolate . . . . Beer . . . . Chocolate . . . . Beer . . . . Chocolate . . . . .
icon_sick.gif
. . . . . Just Say No!

It's slowing up now and, disappointingly, no real taste of chocolate in it. Possibly some extra bitterness, oh well.

It's destined for a corney, so it shall be racked off soon and left to clear.

Chocolate goes well with puddings or late night munchy attacks. Beer goes well with everything else. Don't see the connection myself.

But if it tickles your fancy then go for it :thumb:

It's all down to keeping SWMBO sweet, she loves Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, as do I (secretly) so I thought I would try and knock something together. It's going to be my first brew to hit a corney so all a bit of a learning curve, I like that!

I've never tried that Double Choc Stout, is it a bit sickly after one or two?

i enjoy a choccy stout from time to time, of all beers to brew with chocolate stout is the one as it has the flavour to carry the chocolate. But i prefer my stout traditional and Irish the vessel it comes from only depends on my mood/surroundings.

I :clap: your experimenting ... it's what makes the world go round ... and sometimes go pear-shaped :grin:

I don't think the Young's DCS is sickly, I can happily have several, it's a very subtle hint of chocolate. Obviously chocolate malt and then chocolate flavouring (they are up-front about it on the bottle) makes it double chocolate. I'll roll with this one and look for some chocolate flavouring in the future.

Lakeland do a really nice Chocolate Essence in Bourbon I Believe . . . That is absolutely to die for . . . . But not in Beer :lol:

This has taken quite a while to drop bright but is now ready to go into a corny this weekend, the chocolate is definitely there. It's quite bitter as you might expect from a dry Irish stout and the 100% cacao and I might just soften it with a few drops of chocolate essence - I found one in the "still spirits" range.

Going to try again with a John Bull "masterclass" Irish stout, possibly with just the chocolate essence and just for the sheer fun of it I am going to grab a Coopers Irish stout too.

Back