Chocolate malt mixed into my pale malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicowk

Reaction score
So i'm a bit confused what they were thinking. I did an order on Geterbrewed, a custom pack.

The order was enough for two brews, I was going to do a stout and a pale ale, it seemed easier to order them both as all I was doing grain wise was increasing my pale malt.

So I received my package, expecting pale malt, flaked barley, roasted barley and chocolate malt.

I had a big bag of pale malt, and a small bag of flaked barley. The box was broken so I suppose the other two could have fallen out, but I have heard geterbrewed mess up orders quite often.

Anyway I will deal with the missing stout stuff later, I can still make my pale ale, i've been brewing this morning, realised my pale ale is very... Dark.

The bloody chocolate malt is mixed in with the pale malt!!

What effect will this have on my pale ale apart from being dark? Am I right in being very confused why they would mix these together!

I include chocolate malt with pale (and other) malt to make a (darkish) bitter - 37 EBC, according to Beer Engine. I mix them in the MT, tho'!

I think that, as you say, your pale ale will be darker than planned, and the choccy malt will impart some coffee undertones to it. It may not turn-out as intended, but it will be excellent!

Cheers,
Chris

Latest posts

Back